Carb care between races/practice

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

Between races/practices what is a good way to keep the pilot jet from clogging up? We had this happen once during a race so I started ultrasonically cleaning the carb pretty regularly. This is pretty time consuming so is there an easier way? If I drain out the gas and spray in WD40 is that enough? Should I remove cap, various screws etc?

That is probably enough but to tell you the truth I clean them in the ultrasound before every race (animals on methanol). It is probably not necessary but the way I look at it, there is no such thing as over preparing.

After you get home drain using the brass plug on the bottom of the bowl not the drain screw. (Briggs doesn't sell a replacement for the screw or o-ring) If the screw gets rounded(common because it's so soft) or the o-ring is damaged a new float bowl is required. Remove the fuel line and squirt WD 40 into fuel inlet until it runs out the bottom. Remove air filter and put a couple squirts in the two small hole in the venturi. Leave empty. Restart to fill the bowl when you get ready to head to the track. This will cushion the float for the trailer ride.

^ This is good.
We prefer to run purge fuel through our engines at the end of each race day.
2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to a quart of pure gas (no ethanol.)
Only takes a couple minutes to run some purge fuel through, and keeps the carb like new inside.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you are not Pickling your carb after a race day it will eventually come back to haunt you.
The idle jet orifice is .011" diameter.
The smallest bit of debris or evaporate fuel will plug it.
I also recommend draining the carb using a 5/16" allan wrench to remove the brass plug from the bottom of the carb.
I would recommend removing the air filter and using low pressure compressed air to blow through the main air bleed and the idle air hole.
This will get any residual fuel out of the main jet and the air bleed holes (.019") of the emulsion tube and the .011" hole of the idle jet.

We run 100% gas from the Walmart gas station now. To run purge gas can I just unscrew the pickup from the fuel tank and stick in a small gas can filled w/ the purge gas?

We do what Gab, Brian and Jim recommend. Drain bowl, flush with WD40 through fuel inlet, and spray throat of carb as well. We also use a course paint strainer in the fuel funnel and an inline fuel filter. So far we haven't had any problems. And I learned that from the folks on this forum;)
Clark Gaynor Sr.

That is what I do as well. But I got a box a parts to put back together now before I do that.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long ways in racing.

During you off season remove you float bowl and put a measured amount of WD 40 or a gas and oil mixture in it (write it down) and set it someplace safe. Like in a cabinet where dirt / dust can't fall in it. When your season is about to start again take a look and see what you have.

During you off season remove you float bowl and put a measured amount of WD 40 or a gas and oil mixture in it (write it down) and set it someplace safe. Like in a cabinet where dirt / dust can't fall in it. When your season is about to start again take a look and see what you have.
Gunk

Back