Carb settings for high elevation

Just moved from California to Idaho where track elevations are 2500 to 5000 feet. What float height and needle setting would be a good starting point? Black slide.

I would try it just the way you were running it in Idaho. You might be surprised to find it works just fine the way it is.

If it's a new engine produced in the last 2 years, it will be the newer style Briggs logo carb.
Can't tell you without looking though if you've got a newer production engine or an old stock one without seeing it.
The newer carbs have the Briggs diamond logo on the side of the slide body of the carb.

If it's a new engine produced in the last 2 years, it will be the newer style Briggs logo carb.
Can't tell you without looking though if you've got a newer production engine or an old stock one without seeing it.
The newer carbs have the Briggs diamond logo on the side of the slide body of the carb.
Then it's the newer carb. Engine was new this year and has updated seals.

If you find that you do have to adjust the carb Briggs came out with a different slide needle for that purpose.
The carb originally comes with a "BGB" needle. The altitude needle is identified with the letters "DID"
I have lots of them if you need them. Just make sure it's legal at the tracks you race at.
I've sold / set up multiple engines for people in Phoenix 2000 ft and Denver 5000 ft
Jim
920-207-9180

If you find that you do have to adjust the carb Briggs came out with a different slide needle for that purpose.
The carb originally comes with a "BGB" needle. The altitude needle is identified with the letters "DID"
I have lots of them if you need them. Just make sure it's legal at the tracks you race at.
I've sold / set up multiple engines for people in Phoenix 2000 ft and Denver 5000 ft
Jim
920-207-9180
Thanks Jimbo. I didn't know about the optional needle.

The altitude needle is identified with the letters "DID"

I didn't know the DID was an altitude needle. Found one in a carb the other day. I didn't see anything in the Briggs rule set allowing for the use of that needle.

FWIW, we have seen that there isn't a big change needed between the sea level (in the Portland area we race at 500') and racing at some of the higher levels (SPokane and Boise). Moving the needle to a leaner setting (one or two positions) and adjusting the air bleed to optimum usual takes care of things.

I found one of those needles in an engine a few years ago. They are not legal according to the written BS rule set.

You are correct but it doesn't make any difference to any of the flatlanders if some track on Mt Humpty Trumpty allows it.

You are correct but it doesn't make any difference to any of the flatlanders if some track on Mt Humpty Trumpty allows it.
Whoa now.
All of a sudden the best thing , never a rule change engine .
It's ok to bend the rules .
That's a stretch.
Rules are rules you either follow them or not.

Humm. As a multi year Colorado state champion that has been losing recently to a couple of newer kart racers using Jimbo's motors I'll be checking into this DID needle rule for Mt Humpty Trumpty. " Houston we have a problem."

Freeze
I would never risk my reputation by doing something illegal nor would i ever recommend that someone else do something illegal!
It seems you doubt the competence of you tech people. I'm sure they will love to read that post.
Personally i seriously doubt your tech people aren't checking for the correct needle.

Last edited:
I am not in favor of allowing different clutches. I am in favor of keeping the cost as low as possible.
LO206ENGINEPACKAGES
If you open the clutch rule the price of racing the LO 206 will go up dramatically for no good reason.
However, the needle was made by Briggs just for high altitude situations.
Originally we had one pipe 5507, The 5506 was created to make things better for some situations.
Many karts use a motor mount of less than 15 degrees and the 5507 pipe would rub on the chain or sprocket.
Should we not allow the 5506 pipe?
For that matter should we not allow different angel motor mounts?
High altitude is a unique situation.
If the karting association in Denver or other high altitudes feel they need to allow a $5.00 part, go for it.
By the way, i would also like to see the air filter rule allow you to run a $10.00 air filter rather than the $25.00 plus Briggs filter but i know that ain't going to happen.

I am also not in favor of making the motor illegal just because the seal doesn't have a black wire in it.

Jimbo, I have no problem with our club allowing the use of something that would make the 206 run better in the altitude we run them at. However that has not been adapted into our rules. You can seriously doubt that the illegal needles that you have set up for multiple engine sold to the Denver area are not being used here or when used here are being caught by our tech personnel. I on the other hand know each item that was tech'ed and I have worked at improving the competence of our tech people and also will love it when this topic is read by them. You are making it hard for me to keep on recommending our Mt. Humpty Trumpty racers to use your services.

Back