Carb settings for high elevation

This is an easy fact finding mission. Can someone please point us to the organization and rule set where these other needles are allowed as a "Local Option"?

Why are you accusing me of setting up engines with illegal needles?
How did you come to that conclusion?
That's just plain crazy.
Do you really think that i would risk losing my Briggs dealership buy doing things that are illegal?

Last edited:
I don't think there is an organization where the DID needle is currently legal.
The DID needle is fatter than the BGB and therefore leans the mixture.
I don't think it would help anywhere other than high altitude / Denver.
It surely won't help at "normal" altitude.

Last edited:
I would not only be looking at the lettering on the needle, but also the taper check and the main nozzle ID.
Using the fatter DID needle with an enlarged main nozzle "could" provide some add'l power.
On alcohol animals this area is legal to work...not so on the LO206.

I am not aware of any DID needles being used (legally) in LO206 across the countr...and we've seen them from just about everywhere.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't think there is an organization where the DID needle is currently legal.
The DID needle is fatter than the BGB and therefore leans the mixture.
I don't think it would help anywhere other than high altitude / Denver.
It surely won't help at "normal" altitude.

Post #8 is where it appears that you have used the DID needle for your customers before. RE-reading it, I see what you meant, but it sure looks like you are implying that you have set-up many engines for altitude with DID needles.

I would not only be looking at the lettering on the needle, but also the taper check and the main nozzle ID.
Using the fatter DID needle with an enlarged main nozzle "could" provide some add'l power.
On alcohol animals this area is legal to work...not so on the LO206.

I am not aware of any DID needles being used (legally) in LO206 across the countr...and we've seen them from just about everywhere.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I tried using the DID needle years ago in methanol animals, found it problematic.

FROM POST #8
"I have lots of them if you need them. Just make sure it's legal at the tracks you race at.
I've sold / set up multiple engines for people in Phoenix 2000 ft and Denver 5000 ft"

None of these people have ever been found to be illegal as far as i know. If they have it hasn't been because of something i have done!!!!

I can see how you might make that connection. But The reason i have lots of them is when you buy PN 55602 you get the BGB needle and also the DID needle THAT I NEVER USE!!

I will add that it seems to me that it would be pretty easy for someone in Denver to try the DID needle during a practice session to see if it helps.
If it does then your rules committee would have to decide if they would allow the use of that needle. Then announcements would need to be made repeatedly that its use would be allowed.

Here is the 555602 Package with the BGB needle on the left and the DID needle on the right.
The gauge for testing that the needle isn't too skinny is on the left.
Too my knowledge there isn't a gauge to measure if the needle is too fat.

Last edited:
Just moved from California to Idaho where track elevations are 2500 to 5000 feet. What float height and needle setting would be a good starting point? Black slide.
We race in the Boise area. .. The elevation is aprox 2400 feet. Carb setting is tough but can be managed. 890 to 910 depending on class. 1 inch drop if your running a blue slide for Jr 1. I set the clip at 2 from the top of the needle. On a cloudy cool morning maybe.slot 3 .. With the blue.slide you almost forced to starve the carb on the top end of the rpm range... Joe Cook is the guy to get.in touch with in the area.

We race in the Boise area. .. The elevation is aprox 2400 feet. Carb setting is tough but can be managed. 890 to 910 depending on class. 1 inch drop if your running a blue slide for Jr 1. I set the clip at 2 from the top of the needle. On a cloudy cool morning maybe.slot 3 .. With the blue.slide you almost forced to starve the carb on the top end of the rpm range... Joe Cook is the guy to get.in touch with in the area.
Thanks for the info. Does Joe race at snake river?

Back