Carb?

Having an issue with the my AKRA spec clone bogging every once in awhile. Could this be a carb issue? Float getting stuck or something? A few laps only would get to 6300 rpm from it

First thing, we have different understandings of words and phrases all the time, right now it's the word "bogging". My definition of the word is; coming out of the corner, the engine won't rev. Yours may be different.

"6800" as I read it, that's less than it normally shows? Several things could be responsible, chief among them, valve float. Depends on what the engine sounds like when it's not revving to, what you consider, the normal RPM. What is the normal? If it's valve float, there will be a distinctly different sound coming from the engine.

Your definetely having a carb problem at 6300. Pull carb, disassemble, clean thoroughly, assemble, put it back on and try it. Where is it bogging down? End of the straight, out of the corner, in the middle? Fuel pump and filter are clean?

Give it a once over and let us know what you can find out.

it’s about half way down the straight it starts to bog down. That’s what I figured was just needs a good cleaning. I’ll give it a try and see how she does.

Sounds to me like the fuel pump is breaking down. Check for leaks at all your hoses especially at the one from the valve cover to the pump.

does sound like the issue we had when our last pump died. they don’t last very long anymore that’s for sure

In the giant scheme of things, a new fuel pump is cheap and may need changed. But...Many many so called "fuel pump" problems can actually be traced to a leak somewhere between the pump and the tank. Sometimes a brand new pump will tolerate a small air leak, where a several race old pump may not. So just because a new pump may eliminate a fuel starvation issue, it may not be the real problem. Best to replace pump often, and keep connections between pump and tank leak free.

Had a issue with my clone just missing at full throttle. Wasn't doing it at first then just started missing. Thought the line from the tan to the pump was being squeezed by tie wrap. Fixed that and put on a new plug. Went back out on track and it did the same thing. I kept at it and it seemed to clear up and ran ok. I figured some trash in the carb. I don't run a filter but may put one on. Sounds like a carb issue but not sure. Don't know how old the pump is. Bought the motor used. Suggestions.

Had a issue with my clone just missing at full throttle. Wasn't doing it at first then just started missing. Thought the line from the tan to the pump was being squeezed by tie wrap. Fixed that and put on a new plug. Went back out on track and it did the same thing. I kept at it and it seemed to clear up and ran ok. I figured some trash in the carb. I don't run a filter but may put one on. Sounds like a carb issue but not sure. Don't know how old the pump is. Bought the motor used. Suggestions.
Not entirely sure how old the fuel pump is, bought the motor from a guy out of NE and he said he had maybe 5 races on it. Sent it out to Uncle Franks for a tune up but don't think he replaced the pump. Bought a new carb as after I cleaned the carb it was fine for 1 heat then started doing it again in the main. Could be pump, that's next on my list to get changed out.

Check the tank vent , if using an aftermarket tank , also the in tank pickup tube for soft/collapsing or short. or fuel hole for debris or plastic flap blocking it . . Are you straining your fuel and using a kart specific fuel jug .

Check the tank vent , if using an aftermarket tank , also the in tank pickup tube for soft/collapsing or short. or fuel hole for debris or plastic flap blocking it . . Are you straining your fuel and using a kart specific fuel jug .
Checked last night and it looks like the fuel line seal on the tank is cracked. Just ordered a new cap. Definitely have been straining and use only 1 jug for fuel

As too the float , stuck wont allow fuel in . One thing on the float bowel the drain needs to be on the hinge side . The side with fuel shut off , otherwise i feel it wont let the float drop enough .
Ufranks went over it , should be good .
I would try a completly differnt plug then the 10x if thats whats in it .

As too the float , stuck wont allow fuel in . One thing on the float bowel the drain needs to be on the hinge side . The side with fuel shut off , otherwise i feel it wont let the float drop enough .
Ufranks went over it , should be good .
I would try a completly differnt plug then the 10x if thats whats in it .
What plug would you reco? I'll be sure to check the where the drain is at on it. Didn't know that about the bowl so I'll definitely check it

Back