carb?

^ Bingo.

Alot depends on the air/fuel ratio and the amount of vacuum draw you have on the short stem. The amount of offset of the throttle shaft affects this as well as other things.

Anything less than 1/2 turn out will make the fuel delivery real inconsistent (needle in the jet too deep), while anything more than 2 1/2 turns out does nothing at all. 1 11/2 is the center of the resolution and makes the best starting point.

56 jet 1 1/2 turns out will get you close for blue plate.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Alot depends on the air/fuel ratio and the amount of vacuum draw you have on the short stem.
there is no such thing as a "vacuum draw". I know it's just one of those things that people say, but I believe people just get confused about what is really happening.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

It's a low pressure area, Al. I measure it in inches of vacuum. I suppose you got me on a technicality. Bravo young man.
And it changes with the surface area of the jet. :)

It may not be called that but that is the way I would explain it, The vacuum draws the fuel up from the bowl in to the carb.

It's a low pressure area, Al. I measure it in inches of vacuum. I suppose you got me on a technicality. Bravo young man.
And it changes with the surface area of the jet. :)
of course it changes with the area of the jet. Air pressure is measured in pounds per square inch.

"Bravo young man"? I would never pass tech with that description.

"A technicality"? Describing the function of a carburetor, using the term vacuum, does not accurately describe what is happening. You may think it makes no difference, but I think it does.

It may not be called that but that is the way I would explain it, The vacuum draws the fuel up from the bowl in to the carb.
Yes, you can say that, but you would be wrong, and most people would think they understand, but they don't. And you might think it makes no difference, but it does.

A vacuum is an absence of pressure. Most often described in minus powers of 10. 10 to the -12 is close to the best science can make. It is not a force, it has absolutely no ability to draw or suck.

And by no means do I want a argument with you because I'm sure you know the correct definition of these terms but why do they call it a "vacuum cleaner" ? Doesnt it "draw or suck" dirt into the bag?

David according to Al a vacuum cleaner uses a high pressure area to push the dirt into the low pressure bag. And Al, if a vacuum has no force, please explain how a suction cup works.

David according to Al a vacuum cleaner uses a high pressure area to push the dirt into the low pressure bag. And Al, if a vacuum has no force, please explain how a suction cup works.
you push down on the suction cup. This pushes out all the air creating a vacuum which the outside air pressure tries to fill. It's the pressure of the air pushing down on the suction cup that keeps it attached to the wall, or whatever. I thought everybody knew that. lol

I know you spent your whole life thinking that the vacuum does something, but it doesn't, it has no power whatsoever. I know it's hard to get something out of your head that's been there for your whole life, it takes a little effort, but anybody can do it.

Once you start looking at pressures filling vacuums, rather than vacuum sucking or drawing, like in a carburetor, you get a new understanding of what's going on in that carb.

Once you understand that, and believe it, that there's no such thing as suck or draw in a carburetor, you laugh when the supposed experts use these terms in their attempts to explain the carburetor. I know I do.

And you may be right, but I'm not fully convinced, by no means a scientist but while flowing carbs I have seen negative pressure on a manometer from the small tube, so that's telling me there is a small vacuum on it, like you said it's what I have always "thought" was right. Defiantly not to old to learn. Just want to understand why I'm wrong.

I will go with mr Carlson because he knows what he is talking about and most of us stupid people do to, don't make it harder than it is, it is a go kart carb not the space shuttle, which it looks like they need a few of us rednecks working on also.

Gentlemen...please! This constant bickering between people that think they know everything is really annoying to us that do.

Last edited:
Back