Carbon fiber axle

BAC in Ohio has offered them for years.
Very nice piece, but was deemed illegal for most sanctioned events.
That didn't deter them though, they now offer an aluminum axle with a fused carbon fiber stiffener, which is WKA legal to my knowledge.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

used to run an aluminum axle until I got tired of replacing bent ones. carbon fiber tends to crack. Id hate to spend that kind of cash and loose a race because of an axle.I hear pros change their axle every few races

$1475 and they are on backorder for the foreseeable future.
Been this way for years, and a number of years. They are pricey no doubt but when you cant get them it dont matter. However if you could get them, and you could afford them, lots said they were well worth the money back in the day (they were like 700 back when available).

Been this way for years, and a number of years. They are pricey no doubt but when you cant get them it dont matter. However if you could get them, and you could afford them, lots said they were well worth the money back in the day (they were like 700 back when available).
Well worth the money to 1% of karters.
Sometimes people lie to convince themselves that they made a good purchase, but in the end no where near worth the money, just more fools separated from their money

BAC said they are a very busy military supplier and would have to try and make one in between production runs and the timeline is unpredictable. Said they make them in 33" and 36" lengths.

5lb in reduced rotating mass is huge. Don't believe they're NKA legal since they're not made of a ferrous metal. Pretty easily caught with a magnet in the tech barn.

I want to say that they were $1000 10 years ago...so compared to eggs, I guess that's not so much inflation. :)
We had one of their earlier model carbon fiber axles and I had no problems with it other than WKA stepped in and said they were not legal. I have not see one of their newer axles in person yet.
I do have a couple Ti axles here and they seem to flex a lot more than chromemoly or even mild steel axles (.250 or .188 wall.) I would say they flex more like the Azusa aluminum axles that we ran back in the '80s. I don't remember having problems with the aluminum bending (certainly not any more than a standard steel axle,) but we didn't "crash test" them a lot either. I always liked to run chromemoly axles when I ran karts and when our boys ran. Ti axles take some getting used to as far as how they changed the amount of bite the chassis made.

Back