Carburetor Tuning

Ayrton C.

Hello, I'm new to karting, I use a Briggs and Stratton lo206 motor and my elevation is at 89'. I used the carb on track and noticed that I was making no power compared to other people and the carb was from Reno, which is at 4,500'. Quite a big difference of elevation. Could someone help me with a good jet size and also how I should set up the float? Thank you!! First race is in March

Welcome .
First is this sanctioned racing ?
There are very little room for changes on the rule set . though there is room .

You need to leave the jet alone as you can only run the stock jet. However, you want to richen the needle (move the clip down). You will also probably want to adjust the air bleed screw on the outside of the carb (likely will want to screw it in some).

Set the needle on clip 2 or 3.
Floats @ .875".
Airbleed screw to get the highest rpm, then adjust idle screw back down to 2200.
Run it.

Be sure to take time to clean the carb very well as they easily plug up fuel passages and/or inlet needle hang up and floats stick (especially if it's been sitting for any length of time since it last ran correctly.)
Also check that the main jet is the proper 95 jet -- for a while, some Rocky Mtn. clubs were allowing a 93 main.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Set the needle on clip 2 or 3.
Floats @ .875".
Airbleed screw to get the highest rpm, then adjust idle screw back down to 2200.
Run it.

Be sure to take time to clean the carb very well as they easily plug up fuel passages and/or inlet needle hang up and floats stick (especially if it's been sitting for any length of time since it last ran correctly.)
Also check that the main jet is the proper 95 jet -- for a while, some Rocky Mtn. clubs were allowing a 93 main.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Hi Brian, how exactly do you get the highest RPMs. I was just asking about this in a thread I started. Any chance you can break this down for us newbies? How many turns out do I start from and what exactly does max rpm look like? I’ve been struggling with this. How far out is too far out? I’ve been told that if my air bleed is 2 and 1/4 I’ve gone too far.

^ Sure. I've probably written it on here previously, but here ya go:

Remove the air bleed screw and spring entirely.
Blast out the orifice with brake clean to clean any dirt or rubber that may have found it's way in there.

Now, stretch the spring slightly between your fingers. Be careful to stretch it lightly so as not to damage the coils of the spring.
Reinstall spring and air bleed adjuster screw until it lightly bottoms out. Now back it out (counter-clockwise) 2 turns.

With the kart on the ground, start the engine and allow it to warm.
Set the idle to 2200 rpm with the idle adjuster screw (one located directly under the slide.)
Next, turn the air bleed adjuster screw counter-clockwise (leaner) until the engine is idling at it's peak rpm. If the rpm never increased, then go back to your starting point and try adjusting it in (clockwise / richer.) The key is to get the engine to it's highest idle rpm (generally leaner.)
Note: If the clutch is trying to engage, you may need to reset your idle adjuster screw to keep your rpm below clutch engagement.

Repeat this process until the engine is idling at it's highest rpm, then turn the idle adjuster screw back out to lower the idle rpm to 2200 (or whatever your preferred idle rpm is.)

That'll do. Now, as weather changes and air density changes, it may be necessary to readjust your airbleed setting during an event. At the very least, set it each race day.

Most everyone that I've talked with that complains of fouled or sooty plugs has never set their own air bleed on their carbs. There's only so much your builder can do on his dyno at his elevation with his atmospheric conditions on the day that your engine was tunes. Some tuning is still left up to the racer, and that tuning changes from day to day, even hour to hour.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Back