Cart School or coaching

IronHorse

I'm Old Guy trying to race asphault ovals. Are there any racing schools or drivers coaches that could be of help? Willing to travel. I live in SE Virginia.

You got a drivers license how bad could you be? Just go out on practice day and drive around. Same as driving a Chevy.

You got a drivers license how bad could you be? Just go out on practice day and drive around. Same as driving a Chevy.
They son said , they were laughing at the scales .
The 68` was parking in the corners .
The 68 , Equals --me ...:D : still I finished in forth place .

Find a guy that is consistently fast in your class and follow him. Stick to his rear bumper. You will then be able to identify not only the driving line and apex, but his lifting and throttle pick-up points.

More seat time is a big key to better lap times.
Once you learn the line and some basics, see if you can get some track rental time (or better yet shared with some other good racers) and wear out a few sets of old tires just making smooth consistent laps.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm Old Guy trying to race asphault ovals. Are there any racing schools or drivers coaches that could be of help? Willing to travel. I live in SE Virginia.
Good for you to recognize your current skill level and asking for help. I think Brian had good advice. I would add that you should talk to the front runners and see what advise they have to offer and let them know you'd like to shadow them in hot laps. Most racers want to see the class grow and are willing to help.

I try to make it a point to help out the new or slower folks 1) because a lot of people have helped our program and I want to pay it back 2) we occasionally catch lap karts which sometimes makes for a nervous situation. If the folks were consistently a couple tenths faster we'd never catch them.

Karts are different. I have road raced motorcycles and done track days in cars.

I asked a few people at my local track, Langley Speedway and they all gave basically the same advice. Dropped my best lap times by .5 seconds. Still 1.5 seconds off the best pace of the fast karts. One of my issues is breathing after 10 laps or so. Another is seeing the details of the track when we race at night under the lights. It is tough to see the splotches and such that I can use as markers in daylight.

Back