Cassette insert

Tatergun

First off this group has a crap ton of info for beginners, guys new to karts.

I've stated previously I've been wanting to get my kids in a kart and turning laps for years but with a job that I had very few weekends off it was hard to do. Thats changes now.

I have a 2013 phaze x, ive been reading up and asking several questions about set up, and how to. My latest question is this.

Rear cassette inserts and bearing removal. How do they separate, is there a snap ring or set screw? I pulled the rear axle Monday before leaving for work to see what shape the bearings were in and pictured is what I have. It probably sounds like a rookie question, but I am green to this stuff. I meant to get up a little earlier today and look into it more but that didn't happen!

2nd question, ceramic bearings vs standard. Do they roll better, have q longer life span typically?

Last question for today, while reading and looking i came up on some rear hubs. As long as they are 1 1/4 hubs does it have to be chassis specific? I asked in a previous post about the phaze x, exceed, rival parts cross referenceing and most parts do in fact. But to save a little $$ if I could use the ones pictured that be a huge help.

Any input is welcomed, and thanks for sticking in there to read this long post

Attachments

• 20210223_124849.jpg
    20210223_124849.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210223_124726.jpg
    20210223_124726.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210223-001329_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-001329_Facebook.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
To get the cassette collar off you’ll have to remove the bearing from the axle. Then fold the collar over and the bearing will come out. The gold collar is a dust cover. Any 1-1/4” hub will work on any 1-1/4” axle.

Correct once off there is a spot or relief . Once rotated there it slips off .
You have nice twin pinch hubs . Unless there bent you may be downgrading .
Mausure and write down all your locations before removing any thing .
The tape on the key is good insurance . I left it off one , key fell out , lost the race .

Ceramic bearings are not worth the extra $ especially for a beginner. I prefer Tuck and Run black out bearings. They spin real nice and if they begin to drag just replace with new. Still way cheaper than ceramic.

So, is it common for that insert to have that much play? The right side has very little. Is it common practice to replace hub bearings versus entire hub? Bearings roll pretty free, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with what goes on these karts and how to set stuff up.

When it came to dirt cars or dailys, the only time I've replaced anything that the bearing was associated with was when it had been worn itself. Other then that it was press old bearing out, clean, and press new bearing in.

Yes the insert should slide back and forth with ease, i grease them before putting the bearing inside. Also yes replace the hub bearings instead of buying new hubs. I have hubs that are 15 yrs old on our 15 yr old karts.

Replacing hubs or not all depends on how good is your competition, hubs will fatigue and need replacing. How often is the question. Competition, how many races, are just a couple factors. Most top guys in the SE will replace every year.

Back