Cassette Question

Wacomike04

I have this 2017 prc recon setup with you guys help and a buddy with scales, lasers, etc. 60.8%. Yes, washers maxxed....rf forward...lf rear....toe and seat is spot on, and i mean squares and lasers spot on..... 1/2" from the bar....rr seat strut to prc specs from motor rail.....its all done and verified...just trust, its right.

So....2017 prc recon is suggested at 64-69% cross.

My question is....I dont have pills or adjustment rear screw for my rear cassettes on this chassis. I have solid opening vertical slots with two bolts on each side of the rear cassettes. I am solid on entry, its exiting when my rear wants to slide out from under me, center out it starts.

If i raise the RR cassette 1/8" how much cross will that gain and will it also jack up the rest of the kart, or the performance of the RR? I was told the RR is used on entry, and LR on exit. I just dont want to jack up 50 things by raising the RR cassette 1/8" to gain cross.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
1/8" change should average about 4% change in cross but doing so may negatively effect the rake of your kart.

Before you go through all that, what does the kart have for front and rear stagger?

If the scales are accurate and level.....then the kart is bent.

Should be able to be in the 66-69 range without any effort.

1/8" change should average about 4% change in cross but doing so may negatively effect the rake of your kart.

Before you go through all that, what does the kart have for front and rear stagger?
I was running 1.25 front and rear. I was told to run 1.5 RF and 1.25 RR and this would help. Should I just do this with tire pressure? What would gain .25" stagger? Use pink ouside maxxis. 1lb? I usually run 5/6 pressures. Dry dusty 1/8 mile track.

Firstly you dont set cross with the RR, so dont be moving the RR cassette.
Secondly dont set stagger with air pressures, grow or shrink tires as needed, then set at regular pressure for scaling and staggers.
Lastly, if you are absolutely positive seat is in correct location, spindles and L-blocks are all new i agree as above something is bent.

Firstly you dont set cross with the RR, so dont be moving the RR cassette.
Secondly dont set stagger with air pressures, grow or shrink tires as needed, then set at regular pressure for scaling and staggers.
Lastly, if you are absolutely positive seat is in correct location, spindles and L-blocks are all new i agree as above something is bent.
I dont sleep but 5 hrs a night and still function at a degreed job.....whole other subject.

Buttttt.....I was just watching prc's video on spindles and saw the notification for your response. I will see if there is play in the spindle in the morning. The spindles are NOT new. The L blocks. I will have to google what those are.

Ty for responding and any info.

I was running 1.25 front and rear. I was told to run 1.5 RF and 1.25 RR and this would help. Should I just do this with tire pressure? What would gain .25" stagger? Use pink ouside maxxis. 1lb? I usually run 5/6 pressures. Dry dusty 1/8 mile track.
As mentioned above, first verify your L-blocks, spindles, and kingpins are all in good condition and not bent. Very easy to tweak a spindle arm and not see it right away.

Stagger should be set by growing/shrinking tires and stagger should be measure at race tire pressures. If you were to shrink your LF tire 1/4" or grow your RF tire 1/4" (shrinking LF would be ideal to keep right RF and RR tires similar size so you can easily swap them if needed) you could most likely get to 69-70% cross.

Lot's of variables that effect cross, remember we are talking about moving a 1/16" thick washer to adjust almost 1.5% cross weight so any little tweak in parts (or frame) can throw this way off.

Can you verify the part number on the RF spindle? Maybe a low cross spindle was put on by accident? Just trying to rule everything out before coming to the conclusion that the frame is bent.

Below is a picture of an L-block for reference, also known as a caster block.

1692187266253.png

some things to take into account
camber can affect cross and so can a bent spindle or kingpin (not always a bent Chassis) . Many racers change out spindles due to flexing out.
Right Front should be 34" circumference and the left rear size can affect cross as well. tires not sized correctly will show poor numbers. washers ain't always the culprit

some things to take into account
camber can affect cross and so can a bent spindle or kingpin (not always a bent Chassis) . Many racers change out spindles due to flexing out.
Right Front should be 34" circumference and the left rear size can affect cross as well. tires not sized correctly will show poor numbers. washers ain't always the culprit
He said in the other thread he had 1 ¼ inch rear stagger.

He said in the other thread he had 1 ¼ inch rear stagger.
and if he has a 33 inch right what size is his left? that high stagger will prevent high cross as the left rear is small. the charger prodigy (copy of the recon) asks for 5/8-1' rear stagget to get its high cross.

and if he has a 33 inch right what size is his left? that high stagger will prevent high cross as the left rear is small. the charger prodigy (copy of the recon) asks for 5/8-1' rear stagget to get its high cross.
Copy isn't the Recon.
1 ¼ is pretty standard

they changed enough not to get sued but it is defiantly a copy. the recon has a narrow rear end (how they get the high cross because the seat is on top of the left rear). similar cross bars same left side rail.

Funny they all look similar.
Triton steering bar and seat bar are close . the outer right rail is different in it's tie in location .
Screenshot_20230816-125229.png

Back