Caster question

Bwishard

New to this for about a year but I have a millienum faktor I have it set at recommend caster numbers rear position 6/10. I run clone med at a track just shy of 1/4 mile and about 20 degrees of banking in the corners and 12 degree straight-a-way,sweeping corners would it benefit me to move to the forward position or switch to a lower caster, just trying to acquire more roll speed,

New to this for about a year but I have a millienum faktor I have it set at recommend caster numbers rear position 6/10. I run clone med at a track just shy of 1/4 mile and about 20 degrees of banking in the corners and 12 degree straight-a-way,sweeping corners would it benefit me to move to the forward position or switch to a lower caster, just trying to acquire more roll speed,
How does the kart feel? Is it hard to keep it off the bottom?

Its definitely worth a try .
Could roll both forward 2* .
Then if its better roll the rt frt forward 2* . If thats worse roll it back .

If it turns fine . Either adjustment is worth testing .
One may be better than the other XXX#40 would know which is first to try .

Less caster is faster -- but as you roll caster out of the front end, you lose weight jacking affect and feel in the steering.
On big momentum tracks with good bite (track and/or tires) I'm not afraid to roll some caster out of the front and it'll definitely help your roll speed. Be aware though, that if someone helps you into the corner, it'll be tougher to keep the car straight and save it when it starts to come around when using lower caster.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Less caster is faster -- but as you roll caster out of the front end, you lose weight jacking affect and feel in the steering.
On big momentum tracks with good bite (track and/or tires) I'm not afraid to roll some caster out of the front and it'll definitely help your roll speed. Be aware though, that if someone helps you into the corner, it'll be tougher to keep the car straight and save it when it starts to come around when using lower caster.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Gotcha Say I take caster out at the track would it throw out camber as well, imma gonna take some caster out this week and throw it in the scales at home, but just curious if it doesn't work as well I'll put it back to where it was,

Gotcha Say I take caster out at the track would it throw out camber as well, imma gonna take some caster out this week and throw it in the scales at home, but just curious if it doesn't work as well I'll put it back to where it was,
Do a 2 degree split to start.

Caster adjustment could affect camber .
If the caster plates are plum/level with the world then it wouldn't have a large effect. If they are at any angle it will multiply the change . If you have ability to check the I would .

What are the rest of your set up numbers including cambers and toe out. Lot more to maximizing roll speed than just a caster adjustment.

Yes, your camber and toe will change slightly when you change caster. Caster changes have the most affect on the other two, that's why I always set my caster first, then camber, then toe...Then recheck in that order and make final adjustments if necessary.
Someone else mentioned less split -- I would agree -- I never liked running more than 3* caster split. Not to say that it can't work, I just always felt like the car got darty/twitchy with more split.

Yes, your camber and toe will change slightly when you change caster. Caster changes have the most affect on the other two, that's why I always set my caster first, then camber, then toe...Then recheck in that order and make final adjustments if necessary.
Someone else mentioned less split -- I would agree -- I never liked running more than 3* caster split. Not to say that it can't work, I just always felt like the car got darty/twitchy with more split.
How close or maybe how correct are the caster marks on the L blocks and the marks on the chassis, I always put mine at 10* and 12* on the lines and go with it, I don't have a way to check caster, I have a camber gauge.

Use your smart phone on the L-block .
Close enough for me . If your trying too emulate someone else's setup may not be close enough .
Some say they aren't close at all . But modern mfg is pretty darn close .
I can say I've never seen anyone check caster at the track .

How close or maybe how correct are the caster marks on the L blocks and the marks on the chassis, I always put mine at 10* and 12* on the lines and go with it, I don't have a way to check caster, I have a camber gauge.
They "should" be spot on. Easy enough to check with an inexpensive inclinometer (available at any home improvement, hardware, or lumber yard.)
As flattop said, there are apps for smart phones that will tell you angles as well.
Check the frame for level at the motor rails, then check the angle/inclination of the L block and there's your caster reference.

Back