Centrifugal clutch. Need advice.

SilntMercy

First of all, I think this is a centrifugal clutch I am dealing with. Solid black housing, silver backing, interior looks like a drum brake. With that having been described, here is my issue. I apologize in advance that I don't know the technical name of everything. Going to explain like I am five years old here to get the information across.

TLDR; I decided to change the driver gear from a 16 down to a 14. Prior to removing the clutch, the clutch would freely spin as would the axle. By freely, I mean I could spin it and watch the tires spin for a good 15-20 seconds. After changing the the gear, the clutch no longer freely spins and the axle will only spin for maybe a second.

Step-by-step on everything I did while changing gears.

-Removed clutch from engine
-Removed top retainer ring and a washer
-Removed housing from silver drum looking thing
-Removed retainer ring from underside of housing
-Removed gear from housing
-Prior to putting new gear in housing, I noticed flat bearings on inside of new gear and thought it wouldn't hurt to add a little grease to those.
-Added grease to bearings
-Added gear to housing. Had to tap it all the way through with a hammer. Light taps, was not forced.
-Added retainer ring to inside of housing
-Added washer to top of housing
-Added retainer ring to top of clutch

Here is what I have done so far to try and rectify this. I tore the clutch down several times and cleaned all the bearings with a clean cloth to see if the grease was to thick and possibly slowing things down. I also took the washer off the silver drum along with those bearings and wiped them down as well to make sure I had everything as clean as I could get it. I have also put the 16 tooth on and spun the clutch without having it attached and it seemed to spin much easier then the 14.

One thing I noticed was this. While in the process of putting things back together, if I left the outside washer out and went just with the retainer ring, the clutch would spin like it was the 16. As soon as I put the washer back in the equation, it slowed down again.

So, please tell me I didn't completely dork a $160 part that my wife is going to castrate me for having to buy another one.

Last edited:
Sounds like a stinger .
Some aftermarket gears are slightly longer in overall length .
The interior washers come in some different thickness . Slight difference .
Interior assembly : washer - bearing - washer .

Back