Ceramic bearing maintenance’17 Recon

JGR32

I just picked up a ‘17 Recon that come with ceramic bearings. I want clean them and lubricate. The Phantom tech sheet says to replace the dust shield every time and I don’t see them offering them for sale. Is there any other process some take?

I just picked up a ‘17 Recon that come with ceramic bearings. I want clean them and lubricate. The Phantom tech sheet says to replace the dust shield every time and I don’t see them offering them for sale. Is there any other process some take?
I understand the desire to run the best, freest rolling bearings available, but I wonder if ceramic bearings are suitable for the environment your racing in.

Remove the metal shield from one side of the bearing and toss in trash. Using a small pick or razor blade, pop the rubber seal off, clean your bearing out, dry with air and lube. Replace rubber shield and go racing. If you don’t mess up the rubber, you can reuse it for a long time.

I don’t buy into the hype but that’s what it came with. I will stick with them until I have to replace them.
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! PRC has ceramic bearing lube for sale on their online webstore....if you dont thoroughly clean and relubricate after each and every race day, you will be replacing them soon.... ;)

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! PRC has ceramic bearing lube for sale on their online webstore....if you dont thoroughly clean and relubricate after each and every race day, you will be replacing them soon.... ;)
Absolutely! I was just wondering if you replaced the dust shield or replace it. The PRC tech sheet says replace and they give a part number but don’t offer it for sale.

Bearings have an inner rubber dirt/dust ring and also an outer metal one...not sure why you would want to ever discard either, especially if you're running on dirt, as already said, both can be removed and reused if you carefully pry them up with a knife edge, would recommend replacing if when trying to remove that they get bent or distorted/out of round...whole purpose of them is to help keep dirt/grime etc out of the bearings ..

Last edited:
Yes . Anything you can due to keep foreign material out is a help .
A old school felt washer would be nice , in place of the steel sheild if it gets damaged .

You don‘t need the steel shield people, the rubber one keeps 90% of the **** out, the steel one on the outside does absolutely nothing.

As. Have I . We also had a ceramic ball fracture . No idea why .
At the cost of ceramics anything that protects them , can't be all bad .

The balls are ceramic . The last PRC set I had had Blue sheilds .
If you have no sheilds look at the balls rusty =metal.
Gray /white non magnetic ceramic .

I run all ceramic front and rear. Have been for 3 years now. We run on asphalt. The rear bearings I take metal dust shield and toss it in the trash, gently pull out both rubber seals. I clean them with wd40. (Brake clean or degreaser will ruin the ceramics) I then gently blow compressed air into the bearings. I then use triflow to lube. Reinstall the rubber seals and good to go. The front bearings I dont run the seals at all, but again I run asphalt and do this cleaning every week and replace the fronts at least once a season if they dont take any impacts or I dont drop them during the cleaning process 🤦‍♂️

Back