ceramic bearing questions

Without lubrication you can damage them.
It may not be any worse then running no shields and spraying with some kind of goose grease :)
It's not recommended as a procedure for bearing cleaning .
It don't cost anything , simply hold bearing so it won't spin and blow out cleaning solution rotate repeat.

We have always soaked our bearings in simple green, scrubbed with a tooth brush, blew them with air to spin free of any solution, re-lubricate, and spin again to work it in.

Never had any adverse effects with that procedure.

Without lubrication you can damage them.
It may not be any worse then running no shields and spraying with some kind of goose grease :)
It's not recommended as a procedure for bearing cleaning .
It don't cost anything , simply hold bearing so it won't spin and blow out cleaning solution rotate repeat.

We cleaned ours after removing the seals, rinsed well with kerosene, blew out with compressor, then repacked them with grease and re-installed the seals

Ok , I've done plenty of things that were not recommended.
Some worked , Some didn't.
Here's a tip though when packing bearing put them and the grease in a clean zip lock bag.
use less grease and keeps your hands cleaner.

nah, I pack them against my palm like I was taught.
If they are worried about keeping their hands clean they are in the wrong hobby lol

:) Likewise.
Picked that up while researching.
Did use a modern bearing packer last summer , worked good pain to refill.

If you spin bearings with compressed air they can spin up to thousands of RPMS.
Since they are not contained in a wheel, a bearing cassette or similar device they can explode.
I'm guessing that at 20,000 rpm one of those balls hitting you in the head would get you nominated for the Darwin awards.
If you are going to use compressed air to clean a bearing only point the air at the bearing 90* to the bearing race.

If the bearings are installed and maintained properly is there any performance advantage to hybrid ceramic or full ceramic bearings for karts? Do you do just the read bearings or also the front hub/wheel bearings?

no, their main benefit is high speed capacity which karts do not come close to. most people wont maintain them well enough to be faster with them.

the first time people use them and clean them they have hurt them badly. between using oils on a sealed bearing to using compressed air to dry an unloaded bearings karters have found lots of ways to destroy bearings without knowing it.

Things to not do with bearings:
1. use oils instead of grease and not replenish it often. the bearing consumes the oil. once it consumes enough the bearing starts to be damaged.
2. pack the bearings with grease with your palm and fill it till it looks right. its not about keeping your hand clean or being in the wrong hobby. its about not getting dirt in your 1000 dollar bearings. Look up the bearings data sheet. it will tell you how much grease to use. use a syringe to fill. too much and the grease will churn and the bearing will heat up. it can't push the grease out of the way enough.
3. spin a bearing with compressed air to dry it. you are spinning the bearing with no lube unloaded. bad. just like spinning a motor unloaded it can cause damage.

no, their main benefit is high speed capacity which karts do not come close to. most people wont maintain them well enough to be faster with them.

the first time people use them and clean them they have hurt them badly. between using oils on a sealed bearing to using compressed air to dry an unloaded bearings karters have found lots of ways to destroy bearings without knowing it.

1. use oils instead of grease and not replenish it often. the bearing consumes the oil. once it consumes enough the bearing starts to be damaged.
2. pack the bearings with grease with your palm and fill it till it looks right. its not about keeping your hand clean or being in the wrong hobby. its about not getting dirt in your 1000 dollar bearings. Look up the bearings data sheet. it will tell you how much grease to use. use a syringe to fill. too much and the grease will churn and the bearing will heat up. it can't push the grease out of the way enough.
3. spin a bearing with compressed air to dry it. you are spinning the bearing with no lube unloaded. bad. just like spinning a motor unloaded it can cause damage.
Ceramics in a jackshaft turning any faster to make it worth while?

Attachments

• 4431E3C3-7BD3-4A2E-8ECF-F678868C7F91.png
    4431E3C3-7BD3-4A2E-8ECF-F678868C7F91.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 55
I love it when the bearing industry spends millions on deciding
how much and what grease and what seal to use in a bearing
and then someone decides that ain't right.
A properly sized and rated and installed bearing has about
enough grease to cover 1/2 of the ball in the bottom of the race.
I'll probably get flamed.

I'm just wondering where this guy came up with $1,000 bearings. I put all new bearings in over the winter and spent about $120 total.

I love it when the bearing industry spends millions on deciding
how much and what grease and what seal to use in a bearing
and then someone decides that ain't right.
A properly sized and rated and installed bearing has about
enough grease to cover 1/2 of the ball in the bottom of the race.
I'll probably get flamed.
I would imagine that most bearing manufacturers are deciding on lubrication for a length of use over a speed of use. I know that if I was a general bearing manufacturer that is what I would be doing. Otherwise people will come back on you that your bearings are junk. If I can prove that a person unsealed my bearing, took my grease out, and did anything else, then it isn't my problem anymore.

In terms of how I treat my bearings... I cleaned all the grease out of them, and then use a PFTE spray dry lube. In between races I soak them down with WD to get the dirt out, blow dry, and relube. It has worked so far, and if I have to put new bearing in I will. I need free spinning, not necessarily long lasting.

Even with high end full ceramics, you're still only looking at about $750/set.
Like anything, there are various grades of quality and the price generally reflects that.
We stock a cheap ceramic and the high end, as well as two grades of steel bearings so that we have something in everyone's price range.
FWIW, we run both steel and ceramics. I know which I prefer (until it comes to paying for them.) :)

Jeff, for oil/grease...you need to be somewhat careful. The real high end stuff runs very tight tolerances and supposedly build up of PTFE and the likes are not good for them. Follow the manufacturer's advice. FWIW: Most of the karting world uses Tri-Flow in their bearings (right or wrong.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back