Ceramic Bearings

This will be interesting to follow. I am buying my son 2 new Slack karts and I will also sponsor 2 other people to race and I had planned on all 6 karts having ceramic bearings. I was wondering if it will be worth it to go with all ceramics or not.

No popcorn needed...
If what is keeping you from winning is less drag on the bearings by just that amount -- then you better have them.

A good driver says he doesn't need them. An average driver says he needs them.

Sometimes an advantage perceived is an advantage achieved.
That is, if your driver "thinks" he is faster with ceramics, then you better order up a set. He WILL be faster, even if the bearings aren't directly responsible for the sudden increase in speed.
Keep us in mind when you place that order. ;)

You know, we spend countless dollars on all sorts of things that promise more speed. Almost everyone runs a mini-lite brake rotor now in stock classes and I have yet to see that be the difference between 1st and 2nd place. All the aero stuff going on with new bodies, ceramic coated headers, trick spark plugs, super lightweight oils, chain guide systems, super trick latest seats, an extra 2* of spindle, another .020" cut from the rubber, another coat of that magic tire elixir that promises better lap times, etc etc. Why not ceramic bearings?

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

No popcorn needed...
If what is keeping you from winning is less drag on the bearings by just that amount -- then you better have them.

That is, if your driver "thinks" he is faster with ceramics, then you better order up a set. He WILL be faster, even if the bearings aren't directly responsible for the sudden increase in speed.

You know, we spend countless dollars on all sorts of things that promise more speed. Almost everyone runs a mini-lite brake rotor now in stock classes and I have yet to see that be the difference between 1st and 2nd place. All the aero stuff going on with new bodies, ceramic coated headers, trick spark plugs, super lightweight oils, chain guide systems, super trick latest seats, an extra 2* of spindle, another .020" cut from the rubber, another coat of that magic tire elixir that promises better lap times, etc etc. Why not ceramic bearings?

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

Totally agree with you on the theory if the driver thinks he is faster with ceramics then by all means get them....

I also heard they are making a new chain guard that is guarenteed 3.5 more horsepower.....I cant wait to pick up a couple of those babys!

This will be interesting to follow. I am buying my son 2 new Slack karts and I will also sponsor 2 other people to race and I had planned on all 6 karts having ceramic bearings. I was wondering if it will be worth it to go with all ceramics or not.
Yes .
You will not be happy until you have them.
They are quite nice in fact.

Totally agree with you on the theory if the driver thinks he is faster with ceramics then by all means get them....

I also heard they are making a new chain guard that is guarenteed 3.5 more horsepower.....I cant wait to pick up a couple of those babys!

Already have them!! I am trying to find the bolts and washers that are .0000001 lighter and should give me .4 per lap.

No popcorn needed...

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
765-339-4407

Or maybe you could just TELL your driver he has ceramic bearings and save your money!

Already have them!! I am trying to find the bolts and washers that are .0000001 lighter and should give me .4 per lap.

I have heard of these bolts. I plan on buying a couple of pounds of these bolts and sticking them inside our tires.....I am sure it will make us faster and also help in the corners!

I have heard of these bolts. I plan on buying a couple of pounds of these bolts and sticking them inside our tires.....I am sure it will make us faster and also help in the corners!

I'm willing to bet if you take out the oil and spray with cooking oil ya could get some speed!!

Thanks for the ones that answered truthfully .
I just wanted to know if they roll any better,last longer,make that much a difference or should I take that money you save and put it towards different areas of the kart.
Thanks all for the entertainment though.

My feeling on this from an average racer. We have 3 karts, 2 with standard bearing and our newest one came with ceramic bearings. Honestly. In my opinion if you do regular bearing maintenance , ie, pull the hubs and rear axle bearings every race or 2 and clean and lube them up. I would stay with the standard bearings. I honest think our regular bearings roll just as good as the ceramics. If i have the money to throw around and could buy everything I wanted, then yes, I think they are supposed to last longer and easier to maintain, but if not, my money would be better spent on tires.

Right on Thanks! That is what I was leaning toward also .But didn't want to miss the boat if these bearings really were that superior.
Also don't the ceramics come as a directional bearing?

Your getting different answers because people use or do different things.
First, there are different types of ceramic bearings, some are made to handle very heavy loads like in large machinery or industrial applications, these are not necessarily faster then anything else. Even with in the performance bearing industry, their are full compliment style, (no cages) then types with cages made from different materials. There are differences.

next to consider, the faster you go, and the longer you are at those speeds, the more benefit you will see. We have had them in our Road race karts for 15 years. On these tracks you are sometimes over 100 mph and some of the straights can be 3/4 mile or like Daytona, basically endless.
At times we have had them in sprint or oval karts but because speeds are much lower, and the length of straights far less, the benefits are much harder to see.
If you have a MyChron with a E Box you can download the data, then graph RPM against time, then overlay the test sessions. you will see the difference. Watching G force in corners will show how they handle side load. If your just going by seat of the pants feel, well, at best thats pretty useless.

In response to "Do you need them" listen to the things like Mr Carlson was trying to tell you. I've been on this forum since its very start. In almost any conversation, you will get statements that, I won this race or that series or whatever, and I did (or didn't) use the parts in question. In any race, anywhere, it all boils down to one thing, the level of competitions of those around you. If you winning where you are, or if you've reached your expectations on where you should be finishing given your experience level, equipment or set up skills, then no, the cost of good CB's are probably not worth it for you. Now if you move to a more competitive series and someone or several people are now out running you, then maybe CB's could be the difference. Maybe there just enough faster, or maybe they alter the handling of your kart just enough that you now get around a set up problem or limitation, and that could just be the difference you need. Only you can answer that.

BOB
Thank you on the insight and I am not going to lie to you as I do plan on doing test sessions most will be seat of the pants feel .lol....either way I would still have to buy at least one set and test and let the Mychron tell the tale but being in the beging stages of karting(coming out of a latemodel) I need to work on being consistent also for me to see the truth in this . So I have some work to do and Thanks everyone again.

Ya, I think someone pointed out a very important point -- there are definitely different "grades" or quality levels of ceramic bearings (no different than steel bearings.)

I've got two brands of ceramics in stock -- one is relatively affordable, the other not so much. If you want the best, be willing to pay for it. Personally, I'd rather have one set of the very best bearings saved back for big races, than have 2 or 3 sets of the cheaper ceramics and run them all the time.

Bob, I keep forgetting that you road race guys visit this site too -- Great example of where better quality (ceramics included) will make a difference. Keep in mind that the bearing will still make a difference on your local 1/6 mile dirt track also, but it will be much harder to be measurable. Thanks for adding that!

Back