Ceramic vs regular hub bearings

38phantom

Is there really a performance difference between the two? I’ve heard pros and cons of both with cost a big one what’s y’all’s opinion

I have no experience with ceramic bearings, but I have some thoughts. First thing, their fragile. In a dirt racing environment, I wonder how long they last. 2nd thing, at the relatively slow speeds of kart racing, how much of an advantage can they be. I've seen where regular steel bearings (only buy good ones) are rated to 25,000 RPM, ceramic may be higher, but at kart axle speeds, I doubt there's little, if any, advantage. Just an assumption on my part.

If it comes with ceramic then stay with it.if not, just stick with steel and do maintenance.

I have no experience with ceramic bearings, but I have some thoughts. First thing, their fragile. In a dirt racing environment, I wonder how long they last. 2nd thing, at the relatively slow speeds of kart racing, how much of an advantage can they be. I've seen where regular steel bearings (only buy good ones) are rated to 25,000 RPM, ceramic may be higher, but at kart axle speeds, I doubt there's little, if any, advantage. Just an assumption on my part.
How do you answer a question about ceramic bearings if you have no experience, makes no sense to me at all.
There is a performance difference, its not much but it is there.
Unless you are racing for $10,000 most weekends, or have disposable money, you dont need ceramics. However if you race against the best of the best every weekend, it may benefit you to have them.

If you don't think there's an advantage to ceramics, then you simply haven't studied up on them.
Now, in a sealed environment (engine case, etc) I like them best, but they can (and are) be an advantage in axle and hub applications. I wouldn't waste money on using them for king pin bearings, but you can't deny that they roll freer than even the best steel bearings on the market. Now, be aware that there are several levels of quality in ceramics as well. We offer "good" quality inexpensive ceramic bearing set through our shop, and we also offer a top shelf quality set that is considerably more expensive. Just like with steel bearings, you get what you pay for. Then there are some "hybrids" where you've got ceramic-like bearings. It can get kind of confusing. Be sure you trust who you are buying bearings from -- the "good" quality bearings can "look" like the "high end" ones, but they won't roll as free.

Now, if you aren't meticulous on your maintenance each race, then don't waste your money on ceramics. If you don't have enough tires, etc to be competitive, then again, don't waste money on ceramics. Put your money into your program where it will do the most good.
We've got ceramics in half of our karts. I love them, but are they necessary? Probably not, but they sure aren't hurting either.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

How do you answer a question about ceramic bearings if you have no experience, makes no sense to me at all.
There is a performance difference, its not much but it is there.
Unless you are racing for $10,000 most weekends, or have disposable money, you dont need ceramics. However if you race against the best of the best every weekend, it may benefit you to have them.
Sounds like you're saying pretty much the same as me. The only difference is in our speculatiion On their possible benefit.

If you don't think there's an advantage to ceramics, then you simply haven't studied up on them.
Now, in a sealed environment (engine case, etc) I like them best, but they can (and are) be an advantage in axle and hub applications. I wouldn't waste money on using them for king pin bearings, but you can't deny that they roll freer than even the best steel bearings on the market. Now, be aware that there are several levels of quality in ceramics as well. We offer "good" quality inexpensive ceramic bearing set through our shop, and we also offer a top shelf quality set that is considerably more expensive. Just like with steel bearings, you get what you pay for. Then there are some "hybrids" where you've got ceramic-like bearings. It can get kind of confusing. Be sure you trust who you are buying bearings from -- the "good" quality bearings can "look" like the "high end" ones, but they won't roll as free.

Now, if you aren't meticulous on your maintenance each race, then don't waste your money on ceramics. If you don't have enough tires, etc to be competitive, then again, don't waste money on ceramics. Put your money into your program where it will do the most good.
We've got ceramics in half of our karts. I love them, but are they necessary? Probably not, but they sure aren't hurting either.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I've seen that Burris has a hybrid bearing out for awhile.
What are your thoughts on them.

For me. I am replacing hub and axle bearings twice a year as part of maintenance program.

So I buy the best standards I can find. Just like ceramic they have different levels of quality.

I run the removable shields and clean/lube weekly.

Back