Ceramic wheel bearings

We bought a used champ kart with ceramic bearings front and rear.race on asphalt. Should we service bearings or leave them alone? If so,whats the best procedure not having an ultrasonic cleaner....thank you

Take them out soak em in mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol. Blow them with compressed air. Lube them lightly with a lightweight oil like Marvel or 3 in 1 oil.

You don’t need the bearing shields, I just pop the rubber seal back in.
The rubber seals are where all the drag is - I remove them both and use a replaceable shield on one side, and just press the metal shield on the reverse side -- it also makes servicing the bearings extremely easy.

FWIW, we clean our ceramics with mineral spirits, and I'd be lying to say we never used brake clean on them - although I do not recommend it.
We lube them with Tri-Flow -- again, not what the manufacturer recommends, but it has always worked well for us.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The rubber seals are where all the drag is - I remove them both and use a replaceable shield on one side, and just press the metal shield on the reverse side -- it also makes servicing the bearings extremely easy.
Darn I've been doing it wrong all these years, what holds the oil in ?
What do you do on the front bearings ?

What oil ? :). Tri flow is dry film. Oil is supposed to float the debris in my understanding . Then get pushed to the side . Out of the ball groove .
I can not say we haven't ran no sheilds . My opinion has changed . If the little rubber seal causes a loss , I just don't think it did .

What oil ? :). Tri flow is dry film. Oil is supposed to float the debris in my understanding . Then get pushed to the side . Out of the ball groove .
I can not say we haven't ran no sheilds . My opinion has changed . If the little rubber seal causes a loss , I just don't think it did .
I’m thinking I should remove all the rubber seals off all my snowmobile bearings now too, might pick up a couple mph 🤷‍♂️

Right . 400.00 worth of bearings with no protection from debris .
I can see it on the thirteen dollar ones they are cheap enough to throw away twice a year . Even on the ceramic as long as someone else is paying .
Different strokes for different folk's .

I take new bearings (the cheap RBI ones) and remove the metal shields on the rear ones. Pull the rubber seals out, clean all the factory grease out, re-lubricate them with a lightweight oil and Tri-Flo. Snap the rubber seal back in, go race.

I take new bearings (the cheap RBI ones) and remove the metal shields on the rear ones. Pull the rubber seals out, clean all the factory grease out, re-lubricate them with a lightweight oil and Tri-Flo. Snap the rubber seal back in, go race.
I think I learned my method from you 😉

Front bearings - I remove all seals (inside and out.) I use replaceable shields on the outsides of the bearings only - no need for any shields/seals inside the hub.
If you use oil, it'll sling excess into your wheels and make a mess...I wouldn't recommend it. Tri-Flow for me.
I have used grease before with success, again, excess will sling out, so go sparingly.
Think about it - the shields don't cause any drag at all (if they're installed properly) - it's the rubber seals that cause the drag. Is it enough to matter? It causes more drag than using standard steel bearings over ceramics (in my opinion.)

Front bearings - I remove all seals (inside and out.) I use replaceable shields on the outsides of the bearings only - no need for any shields/seals inside the hub.
If you use oil, it'll sling excess into your wheels and make a mess...I wouldn't recommend it. Tri-Flow for me.
I have used grease before with success, again, excess will sling out, so go sparingly.
Think about it - the shields don't cause any drag at all (if they're installed properly) - it's the rubber seals that cause the drag. Is it enough to matter? It causes more drag than using standard steel bearings over ceramics (in my opinion.)
Where can I get the replaceable shields?

Back