Chain Alignment * not for weak of heart*

Slack2014

Roll the axle no chain rolls perfect and quick for a long time, Drop the chain on can hear it laboring to turn over.

Changed motor mount
Rear sprocket
Rear sprocket hub
Sprocket guard
Axle
Rear rotor * bent *
Swapped clutches from 2 to my 3 disk
Changed drivers

Rolling the axle has a tight spot the chain rises and then lowers as it gets past that point, At a loss. Tomorrow measuring run out on crank shaft at work.

thoughts, ideas, I am running out of ideas

Slack2014

Make sure sprocket halves are installed correctly.
Loosen the sprocket bolts slightly and roll again.
If it loosens, tighten sprocket in small steps in criss-cross pattern.

Should help.

did that even took the time to try a different rear gear and i had loose pinched the chain infront and then tightened. went from the 4 bolt to a 6 bolt to help spread the load to not to bind

Slack2014

It's very possible you created a tight spot in the chain when you pushed the pin back in , have done it myself chain will roll nice until it hits a certain point on the sprocket , the tension will get tighter the loosen back to how you set it when it clears the sprocket .

ill look into it

Slack2014

It can be a bit of a pain to find , but all you have to do is push the pin back just a bit in the opposite direction of what you installed it .

when pushing the pin out the tool bottomed out but did not push out the pin far enough out. I had to wiggle it out and push back in.

I found 106 link #35 RLV Extreme VS the 120 link. Any preference i would be ok with pushing the pin in the 106 vs adding or removing links. Some more RR weight maybe not a bad thing i do get little lose long runs

Mac_49

Premium User
If anything....as much of a pain as it might be....try a solid (non-split) gear that way you can eliminate 1 thing from the list if it rolls fine.

Kj26

I'm guessing the alignment is correct ?
What type of sprockets ?
Have you tried slowly rolling the chain backwards to see if it pops off the sprocket ? That will normally tell you how big the issue is.
After reading the whole post, I agree that you probably kinked it a touch. find that area, take the chain apart and put it together again slowly.

Slick27

It's very possible you created a tight spot in the chain when you pushed the pin back in , have done it myself chain will roll nice until it hits a certain point on the sprocket , the tension will get tighter the loosen back to how you set it when it clears the sprocket .
Yep. Did this myself in a rush one friday night and chased it all day the next day.

Very easy to do and I now mark the one I break so if this happens again I can find it.

I always buy 2 chains and have a spare just in case.

I have cut more tires with a master key than I have ever ran on my kart in 15 years of racing. Those things are complete trash

Last edited:
The blocks on some of our engines have enough slack you can get them turned just a tick sideways. I started pushing or pulling it one way to help keep it square.

Slack2014

I'm guessing the alignment is correct ?
What type of sprockets ?
Have you tried slowly rolling the chain backwards to see if it pops off the sprocket ? That will normally tell you how big the issue is.
After reading the whole post, I agree that you probably kinked it a touch. find that area, take the chain apart and put it together again slowly.

Tuck n run chain and rear gears 2 piece and std teeth not skip.

Yes rolling backwards slowly it will jump out of the sprocket as I roll it more settles down in.

Every 2 rotations on the driver it jumps.

Funny thing is I had a new chain 3 races old, used my spare new chain and still in a bind! Haha ! A bind!

Damelot85

In my limited experience the two times I’ve had a similar experience, it has been the big rear gear halves not straight when tightened down on the gear holder on the rear axle. Beat my head against a wall for far too long one night, just to forget and go through it again a few months later.

OVALTECH1

Premium User
are the gears put on with dots together ?