chain choices.

lorha4959

hey all. finally getting more serious about my getting my uas setup going. going to be running a taft 250. do i need to set this up on 520 like the 450mx engines? i had a lot of saves threads from here on the subject but lost all my bookmarks.

35 will do you just fine on your jackshaft. You can run 428/520 but the final ratios start getting weird and few/far between when you’re running a two cycle with those big teeth. The teeth changes are pretty significant and you’re basically married to your primary belt ratio. Keep up on maintenance, change out worn gears, run the ring gear style basket and keep the chain straight. You’ll be good.

You can run 428 but you can also run 420 which is the same size as #40 but a motorcycle grade. There plenty of gear choices to run for ever what you need. I personally as a big guy and dont run the risk of a little #35 chain breaking and wrapping around my arm. I've broken them with a 135cc.

I'm pretty sure you're going to find that 10/30, 11/33, 12/36,...... 18/54 is a 3 – 1 ratio no matter what size chain you use.

Al if he is running a 250 he will probably be in the 1.79 to 2 on the primary side jack shaft and final gear anywhere from 4.10 to 4.6 at least here in the south east. later Chuck.

Al if he is running a 250 he will probably be in the 1.79 to 2 on the primary side jack shaft and final gear anywhere from 4.10 to 4.6 at least here in the south east. later Chuck.
I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I'm saying that a ratio is a ratio regardless of the chain pitch.

I run 428 chain on my 450 and 428 sprockets from CMS sprockets but i do know guys running 35 chain on jawas and 250's and get away with it.

thank for all replies. i think itll be 420 or 428. even if it will hold, 35 just looks small lol.

whats happened to seays and cms website. ive found cms' square store from facebook. is that all they have?

+ 2 on what Brian said. I don’t like running a 35 chain more than 2 times on an open reed motor but I’ve ran the living bejesus out of 428 and never even changed out a countershaft sprocket, rear gear or chain.

I've been running 35 for a long time with a stock Taft 250 . I also use a larger counter shaft gear for tooth contact and around a 65 rear for ground clearance. You probably need a third axel bearing to the left of your axel sprocket to prevent flex and chain problems

Charlea Stoffa used to run 35 on his Wankels with no issues, and I do use a 35 with no jackshaft on my red PCRs with no isues either on dirt, and 219s on asphalt, both without jackshaft, with axle clutches or direct drive. On my Sudam I also use a 35 though it is on a jackshaft with a belt on the primary. I do run a 428 on my Wankel on asphalt due to the constant acceleration and decelation forces and the torque of this engine, as I do on my KZ shifter too.

420 is a bit smaller than 428 and matches XR80 gears, etc. I think it also allows for #40 chain to be used (available in bulk at Tractor Supply, etc.) and TSC carries #40 gears that can be modified too... I just stuck with 428 for my setup.

ended up changing my mind. going with 428 due to the mini gear availability. the way the mount sits on my kart the jackshaft is mighty close to the axle. looks like with the standard larger rear gear ill have almost no chain. definitely dont think ill need a 3rd roller on this one.

trying to post a pic but will have to get my hosting issues resolved

420 is a bit smaller than 428 and matches XR80 gears, etc. I think it also allows for #40 chain to be used (available in bulk at Tractor Supply, etc.) and TSC carries #40 gears that can be modified too... I just stuck with 428 for my setup.
Ted #40 chain is not #420 chain. #40 chain is cheap and has no strength compared to #35 and would not be for any karts with any type of HP kart.

Back