chain cleaning

Remove chain, soak overnight in plastic tub of mineral spirits, then clean with brush in same tub before hanging to dry. Once dried, lube as desired. Some like the crock pot method of cooking the cleaned chain in oil, then hanging again.

I take chain and rear bearings off once a month and throw them in a crock pot on low for 4 or 5 hours. Cover everything with 10/30W. I also put my clutch drivers in too!

dang,i must be doin somethin wrong,ours comes apart after every nite of racing
I take chain and rear bearings off once a month and throw them in a crock pot on low for 4 or 5 hours. Cover everything with 10/30W. I also put my clutch drivers in too!

I guess I waist to much time boiling them in tranny fluid, then air dryed and then boiled in motor oil and drip dryed ! I like your way John.. :)

wd-40 and scrub with a nylon brush good, then lube with tri flow. my chain looks brand new. same process for bearings and roller bearings in my clutch drivers, have been on the same bearings and chain since iv owned the kart.

Remove chain, soak overnight in plastic tub of mineral spirits, then clean with brush in same tub before hanging to dry. Once dried, lube as desired. Some like the crock pot method of cooking the cleaned chain in oil, then hanging again.

This is pretty much what I do. I just throw the chain in a tub of gas for a day or two (something like WD-40 or mineral spirits may be better but gas is handy). Whatever was on the chain is usually sitting at the bottom of the tub so I usually don't even scrub it with a brush. Then I put it in the crockpot on high for a few hours covered by bar chain oil. Let it drip dry until I need it again. Chain always looks like new and lasts quite awhile.

Clean mine with wally world carb cleaner and lube with Tri Flow. New chain couple times a year as chain stretches out. New chain gets soaked in SPL chain lube.

Back