Chain Difference

T-roy

Do people use 35 space chains on karts?? I bought an 11 bully driver aftermarket. It is too wide for a regular 35 chain. The teeth are wider than all my others. Almost put it on before checking it.

I thought he was saying the teeth on the driver are too wide? Like they wont go in his links. Maybe its for a 41 chain? I've only used 219/35 stuff

Though he does say the teeth are wider then the others . A 219 driver wont fit a 35 chain as would a 41 not fit . Perhaps by mistake he grabbed a chunck of 219 chain . Never tried to buy a 41 bully driver , do they make them ?

Yes .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200221-113453_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200221-113453_Chrome.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 33
I thought he was saying the teeth on the driver are too wide? Like they wont go in his links. Maybe its for a 41 chain? I've only used 219/35 stuff
Racinnut15m, you are right about the teeth being too wide. I always use spirolock snap ring on these. It seems too roll through a few of them then humps up off the teeth. Thats how I found it.

Maybe the distance from the tooth side too the snout or hub/ snap ring .
Trying to use bully drivers on a smc bullet or smc drivers on a bully i had same issue . Adjusting the thrust washer fixed it .
Measure the teeth with a caliper to see the actual width difference.
Aftermarket isn't always up too par .

Any solution to the problem ?
Not really. The guy I bought it from is a good dude. So I plan on just shaving the teeth thinner or throwing it away. I think it could be used with a chain with wider rollers like a 35 space chain. I have never seen a space chain yet.

Not really. The guy I bought it from is a good dude. So I plan on just shaving the teeth thinner or throwing it away. I think it could be used with a chain with wider rollers like a 35 space chain. I have never seen a space chain yet.

Where did you get this chain? Almost all karting chains are 35 space chain.

We race dirt oval. I have never seen a space chain till I looked them up. I didn't know they had diff types of 35 chains. There are 35 regular and 35 space. The issue I had was the teeth were too wide. Not apart, width.

It sounds like Buller may have taken advantage of the extra space between the links on Space Chain and made his sprockets a little thicker.
Space Chain takes a a different chain breaker. Most kart shops have them.

Not to hi-jack, but Al what chain breaker do you recommend for space chains? When I first got into karting I bought RLV spacer chain ( #35 gold on gold) and also the RLV #35 chain breaker. I always had issues removing and adding links though because, on one side, the chain breaker would push the bushing flush to the inner link; then when you went to join the join the outer links would not be parallel and the chain would bind. I ended up switching to a regina chain which is not a spacer chain and problem was solved.

Not to hi-jack, but Al what chain breaker do you recommend for space chains? When I first got into karting I bought RLV spacer chain ( #35 gold on gold) and also the RLV #35 chain breaker. I always had issues removing and adding links though because, on one side, the chain breaker would push the bushing flush to the inner link; then when you went to join the join the outer links would not be parallel and the chain would bind. I ended up switching to a regina chain which is not a spacer chain and problem was solved.

I'm not Al, but I can comment that quality between chain break tools varies widely.
We have a chain break tool made locally that is considerably better quality than the typical import chain break tools. Of course, that quality comes with increased cost.
We also stock the import ones for those on a tighter budget.
If we can help, give us a call at the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back