chain guard / heat shield

fastmike

What's the tallest chain guard made that will protect your upper arm from being burned? I always seem to find a way to burn myself. Thanks

Lots of header wrap.
the only problem with that is the wrap will hold more heat in the pipe. Soundwave speed, the thing you're trying to tune, is very sensitive to the temperature of the medium it's traveling through. The hotter the air, the faster the wave speed, the higher up in the rpm range the pipe will tune out. It's a real important factor in the design of 2 cycle expansion chambers, but not so much with 4 cycles. Tuned length, with a 4 cycle exhaust, is immensely less important than 2 cycles.

tuned wave? soundwave speed? Al...your getting too technical for a question about who has the tallest chain guard. I'd go with the big bertha myself and wrap the header. BUT!!! wrapping the header and using the tallest heat shield DOES NOT keep it from getting super hot! it cools it some, but your still going to get your arm/hand burnt if you grab it or lay your arm across it without a good heat resistant glove/arm shield on. After all, we're talking about 900+ degrees....trust me....I have enough burn marks on my right arm to prove that heat shields don't and header wrap don't either!!

tuned wave? soundwave speed? Al...your getting too technical for a question about who has the tallest chain guard.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get too technical for you, but the fact is, I don't answer questions targeting the least capable of Bob's readers. Lots of people complained that I do that, but I get private email all the time from people who appreciate it. I'm not gonna talk down to anybody.

that's ok al....you have good advice to share......I understand your answers and that's just the way that you are. I meant no disrespect in my response...i have a friend here at work (yeah I got one!) that reminds me every once in a while that not everyone is on the same technical level that I am and I need to give answers that impart the information but on a level that they will understand easier. and no that's not saying that you need to "dummy down" stuff....sometimes it's just the wording that you use that confuses folks, not the information....

The best thing to do is re-weld the header so it stays away from your arm. I have the tallest chain guard and I was able to bolt a cap plate on top to cover the header after re-welding.

Back