Chain guard question

Sounds like a crazy question, but it looks like I'll only be able to run a one side chain guard due to space limitations ( larger seat for a large driver). I would think this is better than no chain guard. Your thoughts please?

Sounds like a crazy question, but it looks like I'll only be able to run a one side chain guard due to space limitations ( larger seat for a large driver). I would think this is better than no chain guard. Your thoughts please?
Most places won't let you run without one .
Are you saying no guard over the clutch .
IKF required a clutch guard that was attached too the chain guard .
Custom might be in order .
Which engine ?

Send it. I actually take half of them off everytime i get a kart, i hate dealing with it every time i change gears...

I'm talking about the guard on the rear gears. If you are talking about on the motor then i wouldnt change it, need to move seat or do something else.

Seek out some help to show you what your options are. You might have to move your seat or slide the engine mounting plate over. Some engine mounts have more travel side to side than others. Like Flattop said it's most likely a track rule to run one. It wouldn't matter if it wasn't a rule. I can't imagine running without a chain guard over the clutch. You would literally have to ask yourself if you're willing to give your right arm to race.

If you're talking about a guard on the rear sprocket that's different. However, I'd be very concerned if my seat were that close to the sprocket that a guard wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
There are things you can do. Move the engine to the right, clutch gear between clutch and engine. I'm a big guy and I've got a nice chain guard, it can be done.

Send it. I actually take half of them off everytime i get a kart, i hate dealing with it every time i change gears...

I'm talking about the guard on the rear gears. If you are talking about on the motor then i wouldnt change it, need to move seat or do something else.
This seems more likely rear chain guard .
Chain guard , sprocket guard , chain guide or thinga ma jig .
All terms for the same thing .

I don't know of any track that would allow you to run without a chain guard ( what I call the chain guard ), even if they would you don't want to.

The rear guard doesn’t effect much unless you’re running on a rough track or a rough sharp angled entrance and exit grid, if you go bigger than a 64 rear gear then even then it’s less effective, in some cases e love bump into the rear bumper may cause you to throw a chain, so it’s always best to have something in place to keep the chain properly aligned

I don’t run the rear chain thing either.... the track owner has his own discs behind the tractor for track maintenance he don’t need the karts doing it for him. Never understood those things at all.

The rear sprocket chain guard will help keep your chain on if you run a very rough track and the chain develops any kind of slack . They make a floating rear hub that helps keep the alignment better than a standard hub , and many don't use the guards when using this hub . A rocky track is also a good place to run a guard , it helps to keep larger rocks from getting kicked up and getting between the chain and gear . Most of these guards are designed to keep a mis-aligned chain on . If you are a larger person , like myself , that races on dirt ovals , they tend to dig in going around hard corners due to the tire side walls being smashed down ( Bullrings ) , and create a rudder effect , which will make some people think they have tire problems , because of the handling is changed . If you run a rear gear of 68 or larger , most of these guards are about the same diameter as your gears . I have seen races lost because of chains coming off , where a guard would have saved them . So it comes down to more of a preference than anything . Most of these guards are about 8 1/2 inches or larger . I would like to see someone make some that are smaller , that would be just slightly taller than each gear , where they could be changed at the same time as the gear .

Wouldn't you need too change both sides . That seems problematic .
I needed one for a 83 tooth . Hand made them , simple but rough looking .

I believe I'm able to make it all work. I'm a bigger guy and my seat is 3 inches wider than my son who did drive the kart before. Thus the much tighter and less space. I can use both sides of the sprocket guard and have everything working as needed,,,,,,, after extended shop time, a bunch of stare and thought and the occasional beer. The track is a very rough track with a bad angle entry / exit. Once again I appreciate the shares and encourages as well as " the what the heck is he talking about?" Thanks again guys and stay safe.

Back