Chain issues

We changed to 219 chain about a year ago and i feel like the tight and loose spots are worse on these than the 35 chains. What is the most common issue i should check into? Have a laser and got it pretty spot on.

We run 219 as well .
Driver wear and out of round rears . The left and right should have very little effect on tight loose .
Junk motor mounts cause adjustment issues .

219 has more links and more teeth to contact, so more chance of bad teeth (or pinched links) to cause issues.
In general, I'd say that 219 is the better way to go, but you've got to keep on top of your gears/chain.
If you ever throw a chain, likely both the chain and sprocket will be damaged.
Pitch the chain and you might get lucky with the sprocket just dressing it with a file.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We run 219 as well .
Driver wear and out of round rears . The left and right should have very little effect on tight loose .
Junk motor mounts cause adjustment issues .
I've noticed this motor I recently put on holes are a bit big for the studs, guess it could be twisted, I tried to loosen it and push it all to one side to get it straight

219 has more links and more teeth to contact, so more chance of bad teeth (or pinched links) to cause issues.
In general, I'd say that 219 is the better way to go, but you've got to keep on top of your gears/chain.
If you ever throw a chain, likely both the chain and sprocket will be damaged.
Pitch the chain and you might get lucky with the sprocket just dressing it with a file.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
After it broke the chain Saturday I borrowed a used one I will order a new one

I've had problems with Sprocket mount run-out on several different styles.
Loose the run-out was OK. When tightened the run-out went way up.

Last edited:
Two things that I have seen at our track recently. One, check the engine mount and frame rails. I have seen engine mounts slightly skewed. On closer examination the frame mounting rails had been crushed slightly by over tightening causing the mount to twist. The second, check your alignment with a straight edge like a 12" long 1/4 keystock. I have guys using chain lasers and both gave false readings.

Chain alignment?
Roll the rear wheels, the sprocket should be evenly spaced in the chain links. One side to the other is unacceptable.
Sprocket run out. I have found that sprocket holder's and sprockets have a fit tolerance. Sprockets tend to be a little bigger, sprocket holders tend to be a little smaller. This causes the sprocket, on occasion, to exhibit a little run out. If you're having a problem, as you turn the axle, the chain will increase tension and decrease tension as the axle turns. I use to turn the axle until I found the spot where the chain was the tightest. Now this is going to sound funny, but it worked. I would put a 2 x 4 against the back of the sprocket and hit it with a hammer. I know I know, but it worked.
Chain tension. Now Sprint karts may be a little different from dirt karts, but I would feel the tension on the chain. I would adjusted a little tight and feel. I can't really explain it, but if you adjust the motor mount adjuster, just a little at a time, at some point you will feel the chain kind of loosen up. Just past too tight. I know I know, but it worked.
Lasers and straight edges sound nice, but that sprocket has to run right in the middle of the chain. I always ran space chain. Chain is not a place where you want to save money. By the good stuff!!

Chain alignment?
Roll the rear wheels, the sprocket should be evenly spaced in the chain links. One side to the other is unacceptable.
Sprocket run out. I have found that sprocket holder's and sprockets have a fit tolerance. Sprockets tend to be a little bigger, sprocket holders tend to be a little smaller. This causes the sprocket, on occasion, to exhibit a little run out. If you're having a problem, as you turn the axle, the chain will increase tension and decrease tension as the axle turns. I use to turn the axle until I found the spot where the chain was the tightest. Now this is going to sound funny, but it worked. I would put a 2 x 4 against the back of the sprocket and hit it with a hammer. I know I know, but it worked.
Chain tension. Now Sprint karts may be a little different from dirt karts, but I would feel the tension on the chain. I would adjusted a little tight and feel. I can't really explain it, but if you adjust the motor mount adjuster, just a little at a time, at some point you will feel the chain kind of loosen up. Just past too tight. I know I know, but it worked.
Lasers and straight edges sound nice, but that sprocket has to run right in the middle of the chain. I always ran space chain. Chain is not a place where you want to save money. By the good stuff!!
What is space chain?

racinnut15xm
'Space chain' is made so that the side plates don't touch
the drive link plates. Less friction. You're probably using it already.

File the edges on the inside of your sprocket to take off any burrs. Ultimately you might have to file more on the back edge of the ID when the chain gets tight. If you do this you'll have to fiddle with it every time you change it. Did you try leaving the bolts almost loose and tapping the tight side of the gear with a soft mallet? Does it do the same thing with other gears?

Back