Chain maintenance

WD40 is a decent at-the-track quick lube.

For me, and this is just the way I do it not trying to say you have to do it like this, I take it off of the clutch and sprocket so it has no tension on it. I then wipe it off thoroughly and blow it out to get anything my towel cant. I then soak it with Chain Lube or WD40 and leave it hanging until race day. Every 3 races I put on a new chain, no matter what. New chain every 3 races. Its my mental insurance about the chain going bad/breaking, and at $25 a box its just part of my routine.
you using 35 or 219?

Why are people not using chain wax such as for motorcycles or wax in a crockpot? Clean it, let it dry, spray wax on, let it dry and then put back on. Doesn’t attract dirt, doesn’t fling off into clutch or all over the place and provides enough lubrication. No matter how dusty, my chain is always clean. I could most likely run it two weekends before cleaning. The less chance to have something go wrong the better such as getting oil or wd in your clutch. Just my .02

Reading through all these suggestions, there are a couple of things here that are not good for the chain--cleaning them in gas, solvent, brake cleaner. Leave these for what they are intended. Yes, they will clean a chain but ruin it also. These fluids can get into crevices that your lube because it is thicker cannot and they will in turn contaminate and thin out the lube you do use. The best thing to clean your chain with is WD-40 and an air-hose. The Max-Torque site under tips has the best way to clean and prep a chain and the same goes with sprockets with bushing or needle bearings.

The other thing about chain, when you spin out on the track and end up going in reverse change your chain when you come in because you have stretched a link in the chain and this link will wear your sprockets fast.

We race asphalt so I do is small spray lube before we put it away. I would caution against putting oil in a crock pot if you leave it in a garage that is attached to your house. A silly chain can't be worth the risk of burning down your house.find another way to clean and lube it or don't leave it unattended.
Lol do you know how many meals have been cooked in a crockpot?
A crockpot is no more dangerous than leaving a lamp on

Why are people not using chain wax such as for motorcycles or wax in a crockpot? Clean it, let it dry, spray wax on, let it dry and then put back on. Doesn’t attract dirt, doesn’t fling off into clutch or all over the place and provides enough lubrication. No matter how dusty, my chain is always clean. I could most likely run it two weekends before cleaning. The less chance to have something go wrong the better such as getting oil or wd in your clutch. Just my .02
We add paraffin to the oil.
Chain is hung and for about 4 days, zero problems with oil in the clutch, but it's also cleaned weekly as well

you using 35 or 219?
You are using a widely known inferior lube and tossing away good chains. Of course it works but don't you want it to work better?
I'm actually pretty happy with the way it works right now. I could spend more time and effort on cleaning and lubing chains, but that would take away from the already limited time I have to do everything else. For me, its easiest to just throw on a new chain every few races and keep em wet with whatever spray lube I have on hand. I have considered trying RedLine's chain lube instead, but so far its wd40.

Lol do you know how many meals have been cooked in a crockpot?
A crockpot is no more dangerous than leaving a lamp on
I have cooked plenty of meals in a crock pot but they were never intended to filled with flammable liquids. Any device can malfunction and would hate to see someone get hurt when it could be easily prevented. I lost my house 3 years ago to a fire that started in the garage. In that case nothing was plugged in. The suspected cause was my kids battery powered Jeep. Thankfully my woke up and we were all able to get out. I’m not doubting that the. Crock pot works great but I know I wouldn’t take the risk of leaving it plugged in and full of oil when I’m not there to keep an eye on it. The chain is cheap enough that it’s not the risk. If your garage is not attacked to your house or you can leave it in the shed the. That’s another story.

Attachments

• 34289992-AC0E-46C7-8F1D-253205A91169.jpeg
    34289992-AC0E-46C7-8F1D-253205A91169.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
We add paraffin to the oil.
Chain is hung and for about 4 days, zero problems with oil in the clutch, but it's also cleaned weekly as well
I do that also but think I need more wax in my mix. I’m talking about the people just using oil or wd, or the ones spraying it on while still attached to the clutch and rear gear just turning the axle and lubricating it and going.

Back