Chain skipping...

TTCarr

Hey guys, I tried to figure this one out before I bothered anyone else, but I’m stumped. I have had several issues that seem to come and go with the chain keeping consistent slack. Spinning the axle it seems one side of revolution is real tight and the other has way too much slack in it. I’ve spent a solid 5 hours using lasers and making very small adjustments to ensure the chain is riding the sprocket as perfect as possible, but it is still happening.
Using several different chains (new gold on gold RLV #35) trying out several link lengths, it looks to be skipping on the clutch driver sprocket, and when I roll the axle in reverse, it’ll ride up the sprocket and then release.
For the tracks I run, using an animal modified, I really need to use 12 & 13 clutch drivers and anywhere from a 63 to a 70 rear gear.
I would greatly appreciate any info as this has worn me out (in the shop until 4am last night) and want to move on and get back to more important things. Any other info I didn’t add, please ask and I’ll answer ASAP. Thanks!

Its possible that if you have removed the master link and pressed it back together you over tightened and its not dropping down on the gear ....at least that's what happened to me before

Has the adjustable motor mount slid over? If motor isn't true then i have had my chain not line up properly. Learned after about 4 rear gears destroyed and 2 clutch drivers junked

Your axle is bent, if you haven't put a indicator on it yet yor your waisting time trying to figure it out

Cannot find any run out more than .03 although it is about 2” left of the sprocket hub. Like I mentioned in original post, this issue has actually gone away again. I’m dragging my feet on replacing the entire axle assembly, but planning on doing it within the next few weeks.

Has the adjustable motor mount slid over? If motor isn't true then i have had my chain not line up properly. Learned after about 4 rear gears destroyed and 2 clutch drivers junked

I think it may have at some point, and actually need to line it up again. But like I said in another reply, this issue has gone away for the time being. Who knows how long this motor mount has been used, and I know for a fact the mount is sliding back, but that also varies at times. Planning to get a good mount, but can’t pull the trigger on which brand/type to go with, And which degree to run for a limited mod animal lol.Heard 0, 5, 7 & 8. Have an 8° on there now...

In what order are you tightening up the rear sprocket and engine mount ? What kind of chassis ? Bully drivers ?

I have tried tightening them up every which way. Hand tight, then impact. Two nuts closest to split, then center. Center then nuts closest to split. Always making sure the sprockets are tight against each other not causing a gap between splits, and always with both halves facing the correct way. Motor mount I usually tighten from LR bolt to RF, RR to LF and one good check to make sure all tight.
Please provide any tips you may have for tightening them.
Not sure on brand of motor mount, and looks to be a 8° But not sure. Slightly taller than the 5° on my champ.
Chassis is a 08 PRC Phenom, and using a MAYBE 40 lap old bully 12T driver (3 disk/6spring w/ 1 putter bolt). I have several driver sprockets with very few laps on them and none of them are showing any wear that I can see.

Snug all nuts on the sprocket by hand. With the motor mounts loose push the motor all the way to the front so the chain is tight. Roll the axle forward and backward a few times. Tighten nuts on sprocket. Set chain tension and tighten motor mounts. I found this to be the best way to "center'" the sprocket.

P.S. We found that some sprocket hubs are out of round from the manufacturer. Ill go look for the thread.

Back