chain tensioners

na2slow2

Going with a fixed mount for the motor, so I was curious what kind of chain tensioners everyone is making. Some pictures would be awesome, gonna weld the mount up when I get home so with some luck might get to test it this time home. Thanks

Most run a chain guide and use an adjustable motor mount to set tension. Your going to need a lot of adjust-ability if you run different track sizes and change sprockets....

I race with a guy that runs 390 and he runs one of those chain dragons spring tensioner on out of the jc speciality catalog . And the chain never comes off ever. There are dudes running the 390 engine and I see them flying off and breaking all the time .

It has 6 speeds so the need to change gears will not be that often. They dont make gear guards small enough for the gear i will run. So im thinking of a tensioner set up like on a banshee maybe. Or maybe just an adjustable pully. Im not going to attach a 90lb motor with 4 tiny bolts that can barely keep a 20lb motor contained, so im going to weld in bars to mount it to. The chain dragon system is nice not sure if it will work on bigger chains with no motor mount. Mx motor will be my next build if this dont work. Ninja karts still in the works for now though. Thanks

Can't use the normal mounts oil filter and drain is on the bottom and the mounts are high up on the engine front and back. No worries I will come up with something, funny how weight has to be held down by a certain size bolt double nutted and that's 5lbs, I'm talking about 90lbs with a high center of gravity. I put a picture on facebook for a reference. Not sue how to post a picture over here. Thanks Kevin.

I run the butterflies on our 450's but I run 4 3/8" bolts 2 on each butterfly. What I did for a chain guide is took a wide skateboard wheel with inner bearings and cut a channel in it for the 428 chain that I run. I use part of the mount here from JC specialty and take a skateboard wheel with inner bearings and cut out the center for chain channel. So far so good. http://shopping.jcspecialty.net/shopping/Search.aspx?k=chain+guide

Yes, a good mount don't need lots of bolts. A piece of crap will never stay no matter how many bolts you have. I would look into QRC, not saying I recommend them, but I have friends who use them without fail. What engine you mounting?

Back