Chain

Brodie#9

What is your recommendation on the slack the chain should have? If the chain is tight with very little slack does it help or hurt? I have been running ours with just a little slack but I have noticed others have theirs that looks really loose so I'm just curious with what you all thinks works best.
Thanks

On the stand, mine moves not more than an inch. Too slack leaves a chance for it to come off. Too tight could cause other problems. I've never checked it on the ground with me in it.

If you can,
check it with your weight in the car....it does make a difference.

I'm with nogoats - about a half an inch up/down play in the center of the chain (between clutch and rear sprocket.)
More, or less, causes premature gear wear and increases chances of the chain derailing even with some sort of protectors.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It is even possible for a tight chain to bind up your chassis in the turns, and that bind can bog the engine if it's extreme enough.
I also adjust mine to about an inch of play up and down. To go with that I also don't clamp my gear carrier to the axle - I clamp axle collars to either side of it (with about 1/8" gap between each collar and the gear carrier) and make sure the carrier can slide on the axle side-to-side, to reduce bind because the gear can move somewhat as the chassis flexes in the turns. That may not be necessary on newer karts that have other chain tensioning devices.

Back