Chains for big blocks

Sanders

What are you guys running for chain sizes on big blocks and what clutches? I know a 35 will work but i want something stronger

If you are using a jackshaft then use a belt. From clutch to axle you will be completely fine with gold on gold chain.

You may be blaming the chain for other problems associated with higher HP engines on karts.
The motor sliding back on the frame rails may make you think the chain is stretching.
The 1 1/4" axle flexing from the higher HP causing the chain to come off or damage sprockets.
Etc

420 may be heavier, but the 40 is wider but has the same amount of steel working for you as 35. Just info.

35 chain/gear, is the standard for a good reason.
From pee wee to unlimited, it works just fine....and has excellent endurance.

Finally ran the big block with 428 chain 2 weeks ago at Roebling Road. No chain related issues. Cooked the clutch but I think it was a jackshaft ratio problem. The clutch wasn't spinning fast enough and felt like it kept disengaging. In one lap all four discs were fried. Damn.

That burns . Too bad 4 discs in one lap that's almost like a stick before the first turn.
What ratio ? 2.71 is common for the primary.

The clutch is on the jackshaft. I will have calculate the ratio myself. I'm sure the problem is in the math. I run 4 stroke so I've never "stuck" and engine but it sounds super sucky.

Back