chains

Dukester73

can someone explain to me the difference in #35 chains? what Is the diff. in reg and spaced chain? and then you see 106 links and 120 links and so on. HELP, feelin like an idiot the more I get into this racin thing. But DAMN is it fun.

can someone explain to me the difference in #35 chains? what Is the diff. in reg and spaced chain? and then you see 106 links and 120 links and so on. HELP, feelin like an idiot the more I get into this racin thing. But DAMN is it fun.
as for the regular and spaced chains ill have to leave that up to someone else! as for 106 and 120 link that is how many links of chain you are getting, (length of chain) I believe. hope that helps

In regular chain the side plates 'touch' the inner plates. In space(d) chain, the side plates
have a gap between them and the inner plates. Space chains have lower inherent friction.
I buy the 120link chain and cut to the length I need.

Last edited:
Thanx guys, about how long is the chain usually? Me and a buddy both need chains, so was thinking about getting 10 ft so if we tear up another we would have enough left to do another

Rlv gold chain. Yeah a little pricey but I don't break them for at least a year or two. Buy a chain breaker and then you can make them whatever length you need them for where the engine is gonna sit.

Yeah. Use the RLV gold. I listened to two different people (Kart part suppliers)
about trying two other chain manufacturers which resulted in two DNF'S.
The side plate moved on one link and jumped the sprocket and the other stretched and jumped.
Never had a failure with RLV.

Plus when the chain breaks it can make a mess. Damaging the kart and or driver. Don't ask how I found that out. Buy a quality chain and take care of it.

And thanx for y'alls input. Also anyone know where a guy could find a 10t drive sprocket for a flame clutch, trying to keep my rear sprocketsmall in diameter. I crushed a 72 & a 74 this weekend. That 12/74 combo was IT. So I wanna stay close to that ratio. I'd like to find a little taller tire if possible, 11.5/7.1-6 is what's on it. If I got a little taller that big gear wouldn't b as much of an issue

I just hate to buy another clutch. This flame has about 6 laps on it. Tryin to be low budget, and still want to see positive results. If I gotta buy another is there something cheaper/but as good as hilliard

They sell 9-10 tooth conversion kits , they were made in bully style.
These tend to break cranks or cause other problems .
219 chain may be a benefit as its slightly smaller .
Heavy duty gear guard or some type jackshaft .

They sell 9-10 tooth conversion kits , they were made in bully style.
These tend to break cranks or cause other problems .
219 chain may be a benefit as its slightly smaller .
Heavy duty gear guard or some type jackshaft .
I could see that as how it’s an outboard sprocket. I shortened my crank to put the sprocket where a stock one would be and it’s been fine all year. It may break the crank next time out, but so far so good.

If you think a bigger tire would help with your gear problems, why wouldn't a smaller rear sprocket do the same thing? Space chain, 1st developed by Atkins about 1970, give or take, was a real blessing. The only problem is when you take a link out, it's hard to keep that space in there when you put it back together. I came up with the idea of a chain breaker designed specifically for that space chain. If you're going to run space chain, you'll need one, and there are people selling that same chain breaker all over the country. I've had this chain breaker in my desk top drawer for almost 40 years! God only knows why.
chai breaker.jpg

Back