Champ kart safety rules

meracer9

Site Supporter
Recently purchased a champ kart which I am all new to.. Looking to race it just afew times and I was wondering what the wka rules were as far as helmet, suit, arm restraints, etc compared to a flat kart. Any help would be great, I purchased a wka book but have currently misplaced it.

Thanks Matt

Fire proof helmet, suit, gloves
Arm restraints are a must, those and belts have to be up to date as well

Thank you!

matt I seen u may run at shellhammers at times,i run champ lite,heavy and animal there, my champ karts are the 03,if you do and need any info feel free to stop by and introduce yourself....we should have a nice field of champs.

Recently purchased a champ kart which I am all new to.. Looking to race it just a few times and I was wondering what the WKA rules were as far as helmet, suit, arm restraints, etc compared to a flat kart. Any help would be great, I purchased a wka book but have currently misplaced it.

Thanks Matt

Just converted from flat to champ. It wasn't cheap.

New SA2010 helmet $200-$600
Seat Belts $125+
Arm restraints $40
Fire Shoes $75+
Fire Suit $100+
Gloves $30+

Hans $350 - $1000 (used or new)
or
Neck Collar (much cheaper and legal but I wouldn't use it)

matt I seen u may run at shellhammers at times,i run champ lite,heavy and animal there, my champ karts are the 03,if you do and need any info feel free to stop by and introduce yourself....we should have a nice field of champs.
Matt...take Mr. Hinkleman up on his offer. Great guy with tons of knowledge!

Sent you a pm sir

Is the RaceQuip brand stuff legit and legal? I have a Sa2010 helmet, simpson gloves and leather simpson shoes and several neck restraints already. Was looking at the RaceQuip brand full suit, arm restraints and belts. As I said this isn't something I plan to race every weekend, I'm on a budget.... BUT I want to be safe!

Just converted from flat to champ. It wasn't cheap.

New SA2010 helmet $200-$600
Seat Belts $125+
Arm restraints $40
Fire Shoes $75+
Fire Suit $100+
Gloves $30+

Hans $350 - $1000 (used or new)
or
Neck Collar (much cheaper and legal but I wouldn't use it)

I wouldn't recommend a hans in a champ kart, unless your think your going to hit a concrete wall doing 100 mph, or have a race car seat mounted in your buggy.

I see they make several different suits... single layer thats SFI 3.2A/1 and a multi layer SFI 3.2A/5. If anyone could post the specs for what I need to meet WKA that is what I'm looking for... If not I guess I'll be calling to order another tech manual...

Thanks

what size suit ? I have a very very nice multi layer (sfi5) black one piece. I boght it from a guy that used it 4 or 5 times in a asphalt late model, and we didnt use it at all. My grandson is 5'11 and about 145, and I am afraid he will outgrow it before racing 125.00 shipped, its multi layer, cordura, so its sorta heavy but offers excellent protection

i think a 1 meets the rules, the difference is in the tpp rating, which is the seconds of protection in a fire a 1 is a minimum of 3 seconds until a 2nd degree burn, a 5 is a minimum of 10 seconds, or 3 times as much

I wouldn't recommend a hans in a champ kart, unless your think your going to hit a concrete wall doing 100 mph, or have a race car seat mounted in your buggy.

I wouldn't race without it. "100 mph concrete walls?" That is far from the minimum condition required to cause a serious neck injury. Please don't post stuff so ridiculous. A race car style seat is not necessary when you have a kart seat and a head rest/restraint attached to it. Suggest you do a little research about neck injuries. Your post reminds me of Earnhardt's quote where he referred to the HANS as "that damn noose."

what size suit ? I have a very very nice multi layer (sfi5) black one piece. I boght it from a guy that used it 4 or 5 times in a asphalt late model, and we didnt use it at all. My grandson is 5'11 and about 145, and I am afraid he will outgrow it before racing 125.00 shipped, its multi layer, cordura, so its sorta heavy but offers excellent protection

I'm 6'0 but 210 lbs LOL

I have or have found the following:

race quip sa2010 helmet
race quip sfi 5 point belts
race quip sfi suit
simpson sfi gloves
race quip sfi arm restraints
simpson sfi shoes
simpson sfi neck collar

Think I'm all set!

People think you buy a hans and your safer, not true. For one you need the correct angle hans device. With the laydown seats they don't fit correctly. They don't keep your head form bouncing around neither, a neck brace at least stabilizes your neck. I bought a necksgen that I was using in a midget. (upright seat) Also I figured I would use it in my champ. When you purchase a hans or a necksgen you need to make sure the angle of the seat is going to work. Hans told me not at the moment did they make one for the laydown style seats we use. this was a little over a year ago, maybe things have changed. I was told there designed to keep your head from stretching from a sudden impact. I don't recommend them to my customers.

I wouldn't race without it. "100 mph concrete walls?" That is far from the minimum condition required to cause a serious neck injury. Please don't post stuff so ridiculous. A race car style seat is not necessary when you have a kart seat and a head rest/restraint attached to it. Suggest you do a little research about neck injuries. Your post reminds me of Earnhardt's quote where he referred to the HANS as "that damn noose."

People think you buy a hans and your safer, not true. For one you need the correct angle hans device. With the laydown seats they don't fit correctly.

HANS now offers an adjustable angle device. Not every champ kart/seat is set up the same. To make a blanket statement that using a HANS does not make you safer is doing a complete disservice to those interested in safety. My statement to racers is read all these posts and do a ton of research. Then do some more research. Make your own decision. Safety is too important to simply accept a statement like the one above.

Back