Champ Kart tire width.

Wingnut

I am a total newbie and I am trying to find out what width tires to put on a champ kart I will be running a small pavement oval track. (Pomfret CT)

6x10 wheels with 12x8-6 yellow Vegas on the right side and either 6x6 or 6x6.5 left side wheels with 10.5x4.5-6 yellow Vegas on the left. Feel free to reach out with any other questions or anything you need, I'd be happy to help. I'm about 15 minutes from the track.

^ There you go.

We've done tires for a few guys who race there and run well over the years. If there's ever anything we can help you with, feel free to give us a call.
For someone just getting started, I don't know that I'd both with cutting and prepping, just make sure you get your staggers and air psi right. Get as many laps as you can, then consider blueprinted tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Save your money on all that. Take advantage of the track time offered there you will need it, pomfret is very competitive bolt some rubber on and laps, laps, laps.

6x10 wheels with 12x8-6 yellow Vegas on the right side and either 6x6 or 6x6.5 left side wheels with 10.5x4.5-6 yellow Vegas on the left. Feel free to reach out with any other questions or anything you need, I'd be happy to help. I'm about 15 minutes from the track.
Thank you for your reply. My chassis should arrive soon plus a clone engine. I am going to start putting it all together end of next week. I went to watch at Pomfret the last 2 races of the season, got some help but a lot I still dont know. My racing experience was 2 stroke sprint karts in the late 70,s and early eighties. I switched to laydown enduros in 1987 and raced those until 2001. Havent raced since. I am looking forward to short track oval racing and I know I have a lot to learn but I am a pretty good kart mechanic. I live in Bethlehem CT so I am about halfway between Poughkeepsie and Pomfret but I like the way the club runs the races at Pomfret. curious about running 10.5x4.5-6 on the left side. Is this for stagger? I will also need to know a gear ratio so I can get some gears to play with. Thanks, Peter

Thank you for your reply. My chassis should arrive soon plus a clone engine. I am going to start putting it all together end of next week. I went to watch at Pomfret the last 2 races of the season, got some help but a lot I still dont know. My racing experience was 2 stroke sprint karts in the late 70,s and early eighties. I switched to laydown enduros in 1987 and raced those until 2001. Havent raced since. I am looking forward to short track oval racing and I know I have a lot to learn but I am a pretty good kart mechanic. I live in Bethlehem CT so I am about halfway between Poughkeepsie and Pomfret but I like the way the club runs the races at Pomfret. curious about running 10.5x4.5-6 on the left side. Is this for stagger? I will also need to know a gear ratio so I can get some gears to play with. Thanks, Peter
For gearing it would depend on what your engine builder wants your peak rpm to be at, but 14-58/59 or 15-62/63 would most likely get you in the ballpark.

For gearing it would depend on what your engine builder wants your peak rpm to be at, but 14-58/59 or 15-62/63 would most likely get you in the ballpark.
Any suggestion on gearing for a Jr. Sportsman Blue plate? We are hoping to get our kart back together to visit there this weekend.

Back