Champ kart won't turn

We have a Trick Monster Jr Champ and it seems like more times than not my son complains that it's hard to turn. We've raced it at 3 different tracks and it has only handled well at 1 track. That track tends to be soft/moisture in it. The other two tracks are dry/hard/dusty. We got the setup numbers from Marc Mode and everything is either exact or very close to what he told us. At the last race it handled horribly at practice, we thought our tires were too soft/over prepped so we switched to harder less prepped tires for qualifying and it actually looked good, used the same tires for the race. The first two laps the kart looked great but by lap 3 we could tell our son was fighting the wheel and he trickled back from 3rd to last place. As the race went on the kart handled terribly. We have never struggled with a kart as much as this one. We also have the hardest time getting our nose % where it needs to be. We were told to always have a 10 lb weight on the nose and we do but we had to add another 5lbs to get the percent that we need.

Sounds like tires are way to soft which helps explain why it was better on the softer more moist track. I think you run flat kart chassis as well ? If so are your tires for the champ basically the same as for the flat kart.

Sounds like tires are way to soft which helps explain why it was better on the softer more moist track. I think you run flat kart chassis as well ? If so are your tires for the champ basically the same as for the flat kart.
Yes we do. Saturday they were the same but with 2 lbs more air. We had a harder/older set that we were going to use but after he qualified well we stuck with the other ones. In hindsight we should have tried the other set.

Yes we do. Saturday they were the same but with 2 lbs more air. We had a harder/older set that we were going to use but after he qualified well we stuck with the other ones. In hindsight we should have tried the other set.
Confirm in tire forum with tire guy's for champs, but I'd say on avg you need 30 % to 40 % less internal, wiped less and maybe less aggressive, it's a whole different game than tires for your flat kart, I'd be calling Earl at So Co tire treatments.

What was the kart doing ? Did he change his lines ? I tell every parent that is watching from the sidelines trying to fix a handling issue , is to put a pair of brightly colored gloves on their driver , so they can watch their hand movements . M2Cents

What was the kart doing ? Did he change his lines ? I tell every parent that is watching from the sidelines trying to fix a handling issue , is to put a pair of brightly colored gloves on their driver , so they can watch their hand movements . M2Cents
We noticed he was holding the steering wheel down coming out of turn 4. When we asked why he said he couldn't get the kart to turn. I guess he was holding it down as much as he could to keep his kart from pushing. His entry looked good until we could see him getting tired towards the end.

If you can, mount a go pro to his chassis pointing at his hands and feet.... Sounds more like either too soft of tires or he is driving it in too hard causing one heck of a push... We run burris up north but i always have my son on 2015 date codes or older... Buggys like hard tires

If you can, mount a go pro to his chassis pointing at his hands and feet.... Sounds more like either too soft of tires or he is driving it in too hard causing one heck of a push... We run burris up north but i always have my son on 2015 date codes or older... Buggys like hard tires
Those 3 tracks mentioned, if you lift anywhere youre not driving it hard enough.

Those 3 tracks mentioned, if you lift anywhere youre not driving it hard enough.
Sorry i wasnt talking about just lifting... I guess i should have said to watch his line... I know that if you are driving it in at full throttle and if your line is too low it will put one heck of a push coming out...

Coleridge is a great place to run younger drivers, as it usually has a very consistent surface. Listen to Earl, he’s a sharp tire guy.

Back