changing 1/4 rear stagger

what does it change when i go from 1" stagger to 3/4" stagger in the rear

It would Hinder Rotation with the rear of the Kart, Lay a foam cup with a larger top opening on it's side and roll it, then do the same with a different foam cup with a smaller top opening and you'll see for yourself what it does, What size track are you running ? for only 3/4 " it better be bigger than a 1/5 th mile with sweeping turns.

what does it change when i go from 1" stagger to 3/4" stagger in the rear

It all depends on other things. Stagger by itself does two things and two things only:

First it changes ride height.
Second it changes the difference in surface speed between the two rear tires.

Your end result when you make a stagger change will depend on how the ride height change effects weight location and weight transfer, and how the change in the difference in surface speed between the two rear tires effects how each rear tire is able to grip with the track.

Weather or not the stagger change helps or hurts, boils down to how it changed how the rear tires griped with the track. It also depending on the grip you already have, may not change how you get around at all.

Absolutely yes that more stagger in general will give you more rotation from the back in a turn. And it can either help or hurt straight away speed. There is a most efficient way to operate or engage with the track all four wheels of your LTO with it's staggered solid axle, on all parts of the track. Stagger is just one of many things which have to work together.

You got some good experienced advice about actually going from 1" to 3/4" when you were told if you expect to be fast with that change you should also be on a track of more then 1/5 mile. If your on a smaller track and you make just that change with nothing else done, your either going to stay about the same and wonder why it didn't make any difference or it 'should' slow you down on the track and you'll be convinced reducing stagger will always slow you down which is not true. ... :)

Al wrote and I'll not argue it more with him in this thread: "Down the straightaways, it's got to help.".

The sentence he wrote speaks to me that it has to help on the straights when racing on an oval. What he wrote if that is what he meant is not an always true statement.

There ya go can't beat advise from someone who knows the track, you now know the effect and what ya should run, plus this is an example of why it's tough to give stagger advise because 95 percent of tracks over estimate there size they advertise them to be, by this gentleman confirming you need 1" tells me the track is not a third mile.

Yep, Troy is right. 1" to start with.
When it slicks off you can drop down to 7/8" or even 3/4".
On some older chassis with low cross, you can get away with as little as 5/8".
I've always thought the key to passing there is coming off of turn 4 low, and that takes more stagger.

FWIW: I'm cutting a new set of 33s for a Ben Hur customer today. They'll be at 7/8" rear stagger, 1 1/2" front stagger.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

There ya go can't beat advise from someone who knows the track, you now know the effect and what ya should run, plus this is an example of why it's tough to give stagger advise because 95 percent of tracks over estimate there size they advertise them to be, by this gentleman confirming you need 1" tells me the track is not a third mile.

Yep, its closer to 1/4 in the groove.

Attachments

• Ben Hur Length.JPG
    Ben Hur Length.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 126
There actually used to be a dogleg on the back stretch where you turned back to the right before entering turn 3. They kept the tight radius turn 3 & 4 so now it's a big "egg." Oh yea, the front stretch is downhill, the back stretch is uphill most of the way, then dumps into turn 3 before climbing up hill to get back on the front stretch. To my knowledge/experience, there's no other track quite like it. It is definitely fast.

You really need two measurements to estimate required stagger. The radius of the turn and the center to center measurement across the rear tires. With that track, you're going to have to make some compromises. Obviously you can't set the stagger accurately because of the huge difference between the radius of the two turns. A compromise has to be made. Do you want to set the stagger for the big turn, or the little turn?

With those long straights (nearly straight) and that big turn, just guessing, but I would set the stagger for the big turn and just deal with the small turn. A theoretical stagger for a 100 foot radius turn, with 33 3/16" rear width, is 15/16". Does anybody know the actual radius of that big turn?

What are your kart corner weights?

You really need two measurements to estimate required stagger. The radius of the turn and the center to center measurement across the rear tires. With that track, you're going to have to make some compromises. Obviously you can't set the stagger accurately because of the huge difference between the radius of the two turns. A compromise has to be made. Do you want to set the stagger for the big turn, or the little turn?

With those long straights (nearly straight) and that big turn, just guessing, but I would set the stagger for the big turn and just deal with the small turn. A theoretical stagger for a 100 foot radius turn, with 33 3/16" rear width, is 15/16". Does anybody know the actual radius of that big turn?

What are your kart corner weights?

Glad your not tuning my Kart, set stagger for the big turn and deal with the little turn, you actually think it would be faster to deal with a push vs be a tick free ?

Seems to me you'd want the best setup for turns 3 and four so you could really roll out of 4 and down that long downhill front stretch. To me that's got to be the easiest place to pass. Or is it not? I've never seen the place.

Seems to me you'd want the best setup for turns 3 and four so you could really roll out of 4 and down that long downhill front stretch. To me that's got to be the easiest place to pass. Or is it not? I've never seen the place.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I'd consider letting you tune my kart lol

That's got me wondering, just exactly what would you consider the best setup for turns three and four? Things like stagger and corner weights? Gear ratios?

Back