changing 1/4 rear stagger

That's got me wondering, just exactly what would you consider the best setup for turns three and four? Things like stagger and corner weights? Gear ratios?

If you know so much about dirt oval racing, you know because you flagged a dirt race 40 years ago.
You tell us what the setup should be

I can look at that picture above, watch a video or 2 and put a set in a kart that will be competitive right out of the trailer? Can you?
Obviously I can't, that's why I ask questions. But obviously your question is rhetorical, its purpose I can only guess at!

Obviously I can't, that's why I ask questions. But obviously your question is rhetorical, its purpose I can only guess at!

With the reputation you've earned from arguing with people and talking down to them, do you really see why people would not wish to answer your questions? Start being nice to people and they may respond to you in kind.b

Yep, Troy is right. 1" to start with.
When it slicks off you can drop down to 7/8" or even 3/4".
On some older chassis with low cross, you can get away with as little as 5/8".
I've always thought the key to passing there is coming off of turn 4 low, and that takes more stagger.

FWIW: I'm cutting a new set of 33s for a Ben Hur customer today. They'll be at 7/8" rear stagger, 1 1/2" front stagger.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sorry about bumping an old 2017 thread.

Brian, this is the comment i was referring to about tires being cut to a specified stagger.

I'm going to study up more on the resizing of tires. I have got to get this corrected before anything else matters. IMO

Sorry about bumping an old 2017 thread.

Brian, this is the comment i was referring to about tires being cut to a specified stagger.

I'm going to study up more on the resizing of tires. I have got to get this corrected before anything else matters. IMO
Yea, I think in the context of this thread, I was saying that we just did a set of tires for a guy that were cut (and mounted, sized, finished, and balanced) - and that was what staggers the customer was using.
We don't cut tires to size them.
I mount and size them first, then cut them. If they need minor further sizing, then I can do that after they are cut, but that would be minor adjustments only.

Sure glad you visited this thread again it was a good refreshing learning thread.

I learned we need to quit asking the scale man for setup advice and what others might be doing.
We'll now only ask corner workers with 2 years or less experience.

Back