Changing Springs (Hillard)

Use snap ring pliers. Put the tips all the way in the inside of the spring then squeeze. They slide right off. Install the same way.

Sears/Craftsman sells a combo set of Small/Large Snap Ring Pliers.

I use the small ones for removing the outer snap ring on all models of clutches.

The larger size works great for sprocket snap rings and especially installing Hilliard Springs.

I package up 24 clutches at a time (we have a Bully Hilliard Kit without having to buy the conversion) and I put two WHITE and two BLACK springs on every center section. Takes mere seconds to install four springs.

I have a combo set at home, at work, and in the trailer.......best money I have ever spent on tools......short of Jimbo's Float Height Gauge ;)

Flat blade screw driver - insert in gap between spring ends, twist 90* and drop in place.
For removing, a good pair of needle nose pliers.
I never had much luck with snap ring pliers. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thats exactly what i used to do when i first started messing with these clutches, and it worked well...sometimes i still do it when my hands just dont wanna work the snap ring pliers right haha. Have to use the bigger snap ring prongs for the hillard springs though, i have snapped a couple of the smaller ones trying to use them

I bought an antique set of slightly worn outside snap-ring pliers by Snap-on made for transmissions. Long handles. Works really nice.

Back