Chassis advice?

Kyracer7r

I am getting back into karting after a very long hiatus. I have been racing full size cars and just cannot afford the high prices that they require. I know you can put as much into karting as you can full size cars sometimes, but I am just looking to have fun. What I am looking to do is run the super heavy clone division at my local track. I want to use a Kirkey aluminum kart seat as that is similar to the seats I have been using in the full size cars. What I need to know if someone will help me, is what chassis will a larger driver be more comfortable in with leg room and using that style of seat. I have been looking at the Bad Max due to its affordability aspect. I appreciate any help that can be given.

You're going to have a tough time using a seat like that. You really, really should consider a flexible fiberglass kart seat.

Welcome to karting. My son and I came back to karting for the same reason you left. Circle track pro stock just to expensive. Karting fit our needs for fun and companionship. As for a chassis, what ever you purchase start out with the factory specs on set up and try things from there. We were putting a whoopin on some of the new stuff week after week on an old 99 chassis and then we started to move up the chain of the newer stuff. We were still putting a hurtin on them with our 2004. We are now on 2012 and 2013. this will be our first year with them so trial and error!!! As for your aluminum seat, you may want to check with your track for rules on that type of seat. I do not think an aluminum seat is legal in Box Stock. I may be wrong, I have been before.

Welcome to Bobs Kyracer7r ! We use to race stock cars to and yes karts are a whole lot cheaper !!!! I'm kinda with Neo on the seat a flexable fiberglass seat is the way to go.

The aluminum seat will be illegal in all classes, except for maybe champ class
Its not about you, its about safety of fellow racers

Ive run a Kirkey aluminum seat on a kart before....but it was an outlaw class, and IT DOES restrict needed chassis flex. Use a a good fitting fiberglass seat. Setups will be much easier to hit.

leg room is at a premium!! the chassis are basically all set to one dimension when it comes to the measurement front to back...the pedals will only extend so far. I'm 6 foot and still find it confining, but then again, once you get on the track, you're not thinking about the leg room!! I started on a 99 banshee last year and this season my son and I were both on 01 millennium's and having a blast! oh...and we sold all of our modified mini stock and got into karting because even a four cylinder was getting too expensive!! we had over $10K in it and still only managed top five finishes.....won a feature this year in the kart class and looking at the championship next year!

We have to run a car seat in our winged outlaw class and believe me it's not what I would run in a flat kart

That aluminum seat would be a very real hindrance to your handling on dirt or asphalt either one, especially if you are big guy in the upper body, will really mess with weight transfer and cg.

Maybe give the guys here an idea of how tall and big you are, people might have good suggestions. I've raced against guys that are 6' to 6'-2 in the heavy classes.

I am a big guy, roughly 300lbs and built like a linebacker. I know I am going into this with a huge weight disadvantage, but racing karts is also my motivation to lose some excess weight. Unfortunately I will always be big even if I am fit and trim, I'll still be big. Anyways, this is to have fun, I'm almost 40, I have been around racing my entire life, and cars are just too dang expensive. Thanks to everyone for their help.

I am a big guy, roughly 300lbs and built like a linebacker. I know I am going into this with a huge weight disadvantage, but racing karts is also my motivation to lose some excess weight. Unfortunately I will always be big even if I am fit and trim, I'll still be big. Anyways, this is to have fun, I'm almost 40, I have been around racing my entire life, and cars are just too dang expensive. Thanks to everyone for their help.

If you can get yourself down to 250, 260 lbs, you will be fine. There are lots of areas to lighten up a kart....3 piece body, no fairing, aluminum heims, carbon fiber seat and accesories, etc.

A kart weighs app. 160 dry, no lead.

300lbs. You could run a bare bones maximum engine size UAS kart and sit on something that would give you the same gut feel acceleration of a 360 sprint car.

Back