Chassis design?

riddler26

What are your opinions on chassis designs and how it effects each corner of kart…
For example… why does charger sell mainly there thin wall chassis and phantom are selling mostly there .095 wall chassis?
Ty

Could you please explain a little like what to look for in a kart? Like a premier vs a recon or scythe or Lto…what do I look for on the chassis to tell if it would flex more in a certain area so I can understand better how it works..
Thanks
Ty

Could you please explain a little like what to look for in a kart? Like a premier vs a recon or scythe or Lto…what do I look for on the chassis to tell if it would flex more in a certain area so I can understand better how it works..
Thanks
Ty

I was told very point blank by one of the members that "knows everything" that kart design has reached its peak. There is no more speed to be found. So essentially there is no reason left for manufacturers to try to be innovative and look for the next great idea.

So, I'd say, that being the case, buy something recent ... speed should be the same, regardless of engineering and forward thinking development.

Buy late model, and work with tire programs to get it right I guess

Two weeks ago I spoke to a driver on a prototype Ultramax. He told me that they are at a loss as to how to make a chassis any faster than they are. They will all work. If you want a chargerr get on a list as they are about 4 months back ordered as they are the hot ticket they also make the Premier so I doubt there is any luck there either. I was also told this is the last year of the Prodigy. Slack chassis are well built come with awesome support and are a bargain in price. The Rival wins lots of races around here and I believe are very well built. I also think the Hammer looks good. Not a fan of Phantom and their constant new chassis every other years so I can't give any advice there. I look for a chasisis that's a proven winner and will give you the most help and the easiest place to get parts.

Last edited:
I knew guys like that in the 70's lol.
Thats how it started... I mentioned the advanced thinking in the 80s, the Force, Cheyenne Olson X. Etc, and how thinking outside the box would sometimes lead to better, sometimes not.
I was told thats all a thing of the past. We are at the top now, no reason to look more.
Personally. I disagree completely... something new will come along as long as people strive to be better and wonder if their ideas are good ones?
Someone once wondered
"Why not offset the driver?"
Anyway, it is what it is

the offset chassis has been around for a long time now. the two biggest chassis developments 1. the narrow waist chassis 2. the lay down seat. have been around for quite some time now after the offset has come along I believe every tube variation has been tried including double rails. what else could they do. according to the WKA chassis rules the prodigy and the premier kart are illegal how else could they twist up tubes to make a chassis. they can't use sq tube or oval they can't pinch or squeeze the tubing strategically the rules dictate the progress.

Two weeks ago I spoke to a driver on a prototype Ultramax. He told me that they are at a loss as to how to make a chassis any faster than they are. They will all work. If you want a chargerr get on a list as they are about 4 months back ordered as they are the hot ticket they also make the Premier so I doubt there is any luck there either. I was also told this is the last year of the Prodigy. Slack chassis are well built come with awesome support and are a bargain in price. The Rival wins lots of races around here and I believe are very well built. I also think the Hammer looks good. Not a fan of Phantom and their constant new chassis every other years so I can't give any advice there. I look for a chasisis that's a proven winner and will give you the most help and the easiest place to get parts.
I take it your talking about the deuce?

There will be things we haven't even dreamt of yet, im sure... in the mid 60s, when my dad was making 120+ on a Hornet Marauder enduro kart on little 5" slicks, they surely thought they had found all there was to find,, guys like Clement, McFarland. Olson hadn't taken a shot at it yet... plenty of others.
Its bound to happen... we don't know when or what it will be
Yet.

Jammie is right .
1960 to now there were inovations and mfg process improvement's maybe some materials , no big advances there though . (Chromoy has beeen around quite a while ) .
There can still be inovations doubtful much real ground breaking stuff ,
Without being a completely different vehicle .
After all the internal combustion engine is over 120 years old , and still works the same .

The Trick LTO looks like they have taken a huge swing at redesigning current kart designs. Is it working?

I know it doesn't answer your question specific and is old news, but pick one and be prepared to tweak it, then instead of looking how there welded up and design differences pay close attention to how the seat is mounted, and what the fast guy's where you race are doing with tires, matching exactly what there doing with tires and the timing of when there doing it, is where the speed is in today's world of karting.

Well only thing I know is every time UAS karts hitva track they break previous years UAS records and obviously that means track records, but at the same time the best in some stock classes are able to run times close or even better that some of the UAS karts, so that means they are faster every year too. I still have to find any kind of racing with no room for improvement or new ideas, much more in the US where racing is not restricted by the stupid FIA rules.

Last edited:
Yes. I agree 100%
People who have convinced themselves there is no more speed will never try new ideas for more speed. So they will be correct in their own little world.

Back