Chassis design?

how long have we been going around dirt ovals? did you know there was a over head cam 4 valve car engine in 1910? the biggest innovations to the dirt karting world has been cutting tires and the prep game along with the engines gaining HP. The only thing that's happened to the kart chassis is convince features like adjustable caster/ camber and making nicer seat attachment points and steering locks for setting toe. other than that the chassis design has remained the same. if anything the chassis may have been tweeked here and there to accommodate the advancement in tire grip and hp. things like the slip joint chassis were banned. there is only so many ways to bend tubes within the rules to make a chassis unless they start using different materials or tubing shapes. the kart chassis will remain how it is today

Yes. I agree 100%
People who have convinced themselves there is no more speed will never try new ideas for more speed. So they will be correct in their own little world.
Then you better hurry and build that new chassis.
We are confined by rules.

Well onlybthing I know is every time UAS karts hitva track they break previous years UAS records and obviously that means track records, but at the same time the best in some stock classes are able to run times close or even better that some of the UAS karts, so that means they are faster every year too. I still have to find any kind of racing with no room for improvement or new ideas, much more in the US where racing is not restricted by the stupid FIA rules.
UAS breaks records with power, they run the same chassis we do

How bout welding opinions? Is mig or tig better in your opinion on a go kart chassis when building?
We like mig, early on Mike was tig welding chassis and accidentally dropped one, it made a brittle sound when it hit the floor, and since then every chassis has been mig'd

What are your opinions on chassis designs and how it effects each corner of kart…
For example… why does charger sell mainly there thin wall chassis and phantom are selling mostly there .095 wall chassis?
Ty
IMHO it's about what works for you.
Reading on about what's new and what's old, the only new invention of the 20th century is the rollamite.

My gear invention if I get the guts ro try and patenting it will be the only new invention of the 21st century. ... :)

The premier and charger chassis are tig welded right?
yes premier and charger are TIG welded (Premier chassis are made by Charger to Premier's specs) I believe Ultramax is TIG welded as well. Doesn't matter how they are welded as long as it's welded by someone who knows what they are doing.

UAS breaks records with power, they run the same chassis we do
Not always.We do modify our chassis and PRC built some Proto kart for the UAS Nats with different tubing. We have also tried different wheel bases, extendend rear rails, etc. Even some guys have built their own chassis for UAS and their design has been completely different from things run in stock classes. Check Wayne Felch and his karts for example, but there are more. Anyway maybe the biggest challenge for UAS is on wheels and tires, but one of the main things that define UAS is innovation. The engine is only part of the equation but the dominant kart in the last years has been powered by a small 150cc 2 stroke, so power is not always the key. Added to that nobody is gonna banned tou at a stock class on local or even regional races for running a chassis different from WKA or whatever rules.

Last edited:
Could you please explain a little like what to look for in a kart? Like a premier vs a recon or scythe or Lto…what do I look for on the chassis to tell if it would flex more in a certain area so I can understand better how it works..
Thanks
Ty
Where are you racing? hard packed red clay? Black clay? 1/10? 1/8? 1/7? 1/6? 1/5? Asphalt oval? Future sprint/ road race plans?

Laugh all you want but when I bought new, I bought a straight rail with plans for future enduro racing. That kart set track records and raised eyebrows when they guys that lost saw I had a straight rail.

A small waist will flex more. Look at kingpin width in comparison to the waist. Look at the bearing hanger width and compare that to the angle of the rear cross member. Are there any thinner tubes rather than same tube thickness throughout? When I built sprint cars, I used thinner wall tubes is some places to eliminate weight.

Where are you racing? hard packed red clay? Black clay? 1/10? 1/8? 1/7? 1/6? 1/5? Asphalt oval? Future sprint/ road race plans?

Laugh all you want but when I bought new, I bought a straight rail with plans for future enduro racing. That kart set track records and raised eyebrows when they guys that lost saw I had a straight rail.

A small waist will flex more. Look at kingpin width in comparison to the waist. Look at the bearing hanger width and compare that to the angle of the rear cross member. Are there any thinner tubes rather than same tube thickness throughout? When I built sprint cars, I used thinner wall tubes is some places to eliminate weight.
Where are you racing? I'm not doubting a strait rail kart could compete on an oval in certain classes on a sat night. but I seriously doubt you would break any records held at tracks like Liberty, Paradise, Thunder Valley, Patriot, or Possum Kingdom.

All good things to look at .
What relationship would you want for the rear cross member and hanger width ?
Wider rear hangers go with a straighter rear cross bar or is that wrong ?

I always preferred a cross member parallel to the axle. it allowed the bearing hangers to flex on an equal basis. A narrower bearing hanger width will accept direct weight application to the tire more efficiently. The farther the bearing hanger is from the cross member tie in location means more flex in that particular hanger. Now the motor mount setup, and how some mfgrs set that up become a different varialble. I havent been in the loop for a while so I havent seen any latest and greatest designs.

Back