Chassis flex

yes the terminology used on this forum is all over the place it would be nice to have a dictionary of agreed upon terms is a 'bound up kart' the same as a 'tight kart' ? Is a "free" kart drifting all four wheels out of the corner? I'm still trying to figure out the hand signals people use on the track before the green flag is the leader waving his finger for one more lap before starting or is he taking off now?
For me they would be.
Tight - to much overall grip, to much right side grip ( motor) bog.
Bound up - seat all jacked up, nerf bars tight, something bent.
Free - FAST
Needs freed up - less overall grip, free up right side.
To Free - can't keep it under you, not quite stable enough.
Push - kart won't react in the turn, won't turn
Loose - rear of kart only, can't keep it under you.

I guess you can say a stiffer kart is freer as in all 4 tires have less bite so it will push more if tires are not soft enough...lol
a shifter kart is stiffer because the kart is pulling more Gs in the corner due to the grip of asphalt vs a dirt track. they also use a stiff chassis to lift the inside wheel off the ground to deal with a solid axle around both left right tight and open corners. with no stagger they don't need bigger tires. i would not run the wheel sizes i use on dirt to compete on a coke syrup track. i would also have my chassis and seat as close to the ground as possible

a shifter kart is stiffer because the kart is pulling more Gs in the corner due to the grip of asphalt vs a dirt track. they also use a stiff chassis to lift the inside wheel off the ground to deal with a solid axle around both left right tight and open corners. with no stagger they don't need bigger tires. i would not run the wheel sizes i use on dirt to compete on a coke syrup track. i would also have my chassis and seat as close to the ground as possible
my bad i thought that said shifter kart not stifer kart guess i need new glasses

When I started racing in 1966 I soon learned the terminology; tight = too much rear bite, loose = not enough rear bite.

The causes of these problems are many. Even the definition seems to be changing.

Curious what would you suggest for coke syrup wheel sizes ?
Are you saying use a smaller diameter wheel to lower the chassis ?

push = under steer i.e front end wont react to steering input
Loose= over steer i.e rear end wants to come around (spin out) in corner
Kart is bound up to me means is something is preventing the chassis from doing its job
Tight the kart has too much traction tires too soft in compound and or pressure
Kart is free to me means the kart is fast and on the edge of traction equally on all 4 tires but i still need to hit all my markers every lap.
when i say the kart is on 'rails' it means i am running throttle flat out and i can put the kart anywhere on the track and it is glued to the track and is still fast and i need to start to shorten the track

Curious what would you suggest for coke syrup wheel sizes ?
Are you saying use a smaller diameter wheel to lower the chassis ?
No i'm saying if you can get around the track with narrow tires do that. wide tires are just slowing you down. too much rubber, weight, rotating mass etc etc. to be honest I've been thinking of using a left rear on the right front some nights especially if the track hooks up a lot the front end is less of a problem. all forms of racing use smaller tires on the front do we really need a 10" wheel up there? never had a problem getting the front end around the corner in the 90s . this would be especially true for the lower powered predator class

No i'm saying if you can get around the track with narrow tires do that. wide tires are just slowing you down. too much rubber, weight, rotating mass etc etc. to be honest I've been thinking of using a left rear on the right front some nights especially if the track hooks up a lot the front end is less of a problem. all forms of racing use smaller tires on the front do we really need a 10" wheel up there? never had a problem getting the front end around the corner in the 90s . this would be especially true for the lower powered predator class
That’s not a bad idea for the slower classes but there is a reason why maxxis went to a wider right side tire...I do like that idea tho..with there being no suspension in kart there is too much of a load on the rf.. it worked in the 90s but if we have the tires we run now...we would outrun the 90s karts by 4sec or more

The type of tubing used makes a big difference too.back few yrs ago probe made a stainless steel tubed chassis im sure others did too and then ya have chrome moly and another type they use on drag car roll cages too.its starts with a d i think i cant remember the name of it.

Back