chassis lead on the right rear for adjustment..????

I'd keep it simple and look at it like it enhances rotation, call it whatever ya want IF everything else is real close and the added rotation is the only thing it was lacking, the YAW part would be your competition saying, YAW see that !!

If you set toe in your kart leave the lock pin in push it 25 feet take not on end point... move just the rr of the axle rearward leave pin in steering lock start at same point and push 25 ft the cart will be more left of the first test due to rear tires are steering the kart more... I know you can’t drive with steering locked ... with the steering unlocked the front tires will have to be turned to the right on a straightaway to compensate from the rear wheels trying to turn/ steer the kart ....

You are not correct in both your explanation and your understanding.

The axle rolling determines the definition of 'straight' for your kart. When you move the RR back you move the front of the kart to the left. Sure it's going to turn more pinned with the right end of the axle back then not. That's simply because when you moved the front 'pinned' steering and front end to the left, YOU TURNED THE 'pinned' FRONT TIRES TO THE LEFT.

"with the steering unlocked the front tires will have to be turned to the right on a straightaway" Very true and only because when you moved the right end of the axle back you turned them to the left per your 'old' reference for what is straight. Turning to the right is not turning them, it's simply making the fronts go in the same new direction the axle is going.

Why do you think Late Models move the left end of the axle forward?

answer: for the same reason you moved the right end back. It causes the front end to hang out over to the left over the bank of the track, because the center line in the front has been moved to the right.

A lot of other things change to which may or likely need to be also adjusted to match up with the kart/car riding crooked down the track. When we were looking for more turn coming off or wanting to be able to turn left coming off the corner, we'd move the left end of our kart axle forward. We sometimes or probably usually did it when the track dusted up or lost grip mid turn out.

If you ain't got a gazillion hp to be able to out run who ever's behind you corner off, you got to be able to turn left coming off or in other words hold the thing down coming off the corner. But as with everything what you need to do depends on the track and how it races.

Last edited:
You have to steer it to the right to because the rear is steering it to the left ...you don’t have to go fast or hit the brakes... you will change the direction when you point the tires in a different direction ...

Max26, there is no such thing as rear steer as it relates to moving either the right end of the axle back or the front left forward.

It would help you very much if you paid attention to what XXX#40 is so patiently trying to explain to you. Without being able to accept what he is so kindly explaining to you, you will be forever totally lost in any and all your understanding of how LTO karts and cars work and need to be used with the track.

At best if there is such a thing as rear steer, which there is not, it's about giving the driver a feeling the rear tires are driving the kart or car to the left. It's in actuality an optical illusion the driver experiences because they think the front end is going to the left when "IT'S NOT" it's only pointing to the left.

Max26, there are only TWO things which steer your kart and they are the front tires and stagger. That's it end of story.

Actually there's only one thing which steers your kart. That one thing is you push your tires laterally into the track and the track pushes back steering your kart via how it's tires are pushed into or at the track. All of everything you do setup wise and tire wise is to control how your tires grip with and push into the track. IT'S THE TRACK PUSHING BACK WHICH TURNS YOU.

It changes the thrust angle. Not technically “steer”, but pretty much the same thing in a general sense.

yes, https://www.knowyourparts.com/techn...he thrust angle is an,the vehicle is the same.

Just thought of this and not stating anything but it's a question.

Per the reference I just posted wouldn't moving the right rear end of the axle back create a positive thrust angle? If that's right then without other stuff involved how the heck can a created positive thrust angle steer the kart or car to the left? ???????? and maybe ... :)

yes, https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/suspension/understanding-thrust-angle/#targetText=The thrust angle is an,the vehicle is the same.

Just thought of this and not stating anything but it's a question.

Per the reference I just posted wouldn't moving the right rear end of the axle back create a positive thrust angle? If that's right then without other stuff involved how the heck can a created positive thrust angle steer the kart or car to the left? ???????? and maybe ... :)

If the front end geometry is unchanged and a positive or negative thrust angle is introduced, it will create a static rear steer feel because the forward force is no longer perpendictular to the centerline of the chassis. This is why the front end needs to be adjusted to counteract the excessive dog tracking down the straights. Some see it as useless due to stagger being a more favorable adjustment. Many chassis have positive thrust angle from the factory even when the axle in the "neutral" position.

You're also theoretically changing the trackwidth of the front further left in relation to the rear when the kart is going "straight".

Everyone is just over thinking what the right rear actually does when adjusting it....... I hope newbies aren't confused reading all this......it definitely confused me....

Run it stock to what the manufacturer recommends..... When you need a quick fix to "free" the kart up pull the rr back... The End.....(used mostly on asphalt tracks that are abrasive)

I think this is interesting, see what you think?
I drew 4 wheels (the 4 rectangles), I drew an axle between the 2 rear wheels, then I rotated the the rear axle, (around the center of the axle) and wheels, 1° counterclockwise. That would be a lot, but this is just for demonstration purposes. Then I rotated the whole picture, all 4 wheels and axle, 1° clockwise. This made the axle straight up and down. I then rotated the wheels, individually, 1° counterclockwise, from the center of the tire. Now I have the rear wheels pointed straight ahead, and the front wheels pointed straight ahead. Not exactly, because if you turn the steering wheel to the left so that the front wheels are tracking in a straight line, because of Ackerman, the inside front wheel is going to turn just a little more than the outside wheel. I think I did this correctly, what do you think?
off set axle.jpg

Back