chassis lead on the right rear for adjustment..????

The rear isnt steering, put your toe lock in, move the rear axle back then roll the kart and see what happens, youre thinking about what happens statically, and not what happens when the kart is moving, once youre rolling the wheelbase is back to what it was originally but what the hell do I know, weve only been karting for 20 years and full scale 15 yrs before that, and I worked for and sponsored by a major kart chassis company for 9 years, so have at it.
Once you move the rr rearward it changes toe... roll the kart still toe is off... take the steering lock pin out and roll the kart toe is good, but the steering wheel moves to correct the toe so if you made no changes to the front why did the steering wheel change location? If you move the steering wheel that would be steering correct?

Once you move the rr rearward it changes toe... roll the kart still toe is off... take the steering lock pin out and roll the kart toe is good, but the steering wheel moves to correct the toe so if you made no changes to the front why did the steering wheel change location? If you move the steering wheel that would be steering correct?
think what you want, all you change under race conditions with moving the rear axle is change the yaw of the kart, your RR tire now sticks out further from the RF, you have moved the front of the kart to the left, changing the timing and amount of weight transfer
dont think you are the only one to think that, movable rear cassettes for oval karts came out in 2002, this topic has been beat to death on this site since then, it isnt rear steer, it changes the Offset in a kart called an "Offset chassis"
Our karts dont have rear axle adjustments other than ride height, moving the rear axle around can cause more problems than its worth, its a trinket that they use to sell karts, and 95% of kart racers will never mess with moving the rear axle, why? because its been tried and produces little to no effect other than making you buy floating gear hubs and brake rotor hubs

When you move a front axle forward parallel to the frame is lead... when you move the axle rear axle rearward on a fixed axle and it effects lead as well... it also changes the direction of the rear tires... when you change the direction of the front tires it is called steering.. why call it steering in the front but not the rear ?

Not that it matters but I'm with Max26 on this.
If UR axle is moved back on the right, it will then want to track a path
perpendicular to the axle which would be to the outside of the racetrack
and will loosen the kart (probably severely.)

Last edited:
l l
/ /

^^This is what I hear Max26 saying if the kart is viewed from above
wrong, you couldnt drive the kart around the track like that
l l
l l versus l l
l l remember guys you arent moving the axle more than 1/8 to 3/16

When you move a front axle forward parallel to the frame is lead... when you move the axle rear axle rearward on a fixed axle and it effects lead as well... it also changes the direction of the rear tires... when you change the direction of the front tires it is called steering.. why call it steering in the front but not the rear ?
lead isnt adjusted with the rear axle, lead and lag are a front end only term

But I have adjustments in the rear axle which will let me do
exactly that by 1/16 and 1/8 at least
and it does nothing but change the yaw of the kart, just like seeing nascar cars that look like they are going sideways down the track
changing the yaw effects weight transfer

still trying to find out what its used for and how it can be used good or bad. Other than alignment issues whats everyone thoughts good and bad also what exactly does it do. Ill add that im on a Triton and a charger magnum...thanks in advance.
What I found on our Triton was that it lossened it up .
The driver did not like it when I changed it . Though I felt it was an improvement
You got to keep the driver happy . For a small track it may be worth trying .

“A yawed car is headed in a different DIRECTION than pointing “ To achieve a different direction something has to steer it a different direction (rear axle) is steering the car to produce yaw in the car.... yaw is the effects of rear steer...

It does set the front over too the left .
The discussions about this were quite lengthy and in depth .
Unfortunately the "Crash" wiped that all out .

Last edited:
What I found on our Triton was that it lossened it up .
The driver did not like it when I changed it . Though I felt it was an improvement
You got to keep the driver happy . For a small track it may be worth trying .
I would never use it on a kart unless you have a very tight bull ring track... I believe it to be a crutch for a ill handling kart... my opinion

“A yawed car is headed in a different DIRECTION than pointing “ To achieve a different direction something has to steer it a different direction (rear axle) is steering the car to produce yaw in the car.... yaw is the effects of rear steer...
it doesnt steer, the kart is built with offset in it, the rear axle centerline is to the right of the centerline of the chassis, I dont care how much you try to defend it, it doesnt change the fact youre wrong

It does set the front over too the left .
The discussions about this were quite lengthy and in depth .
Unfortunately the "Crash" wiped that all out .

Yes it does, but I didnt want to confuse him more than he is, shame the crash wiped that discussion out, maybe then he would see hes wrong on this subject.

Offset of the axle to the right is not to the point.
My comment was not about moving the axle L to R
but about skewing the axle front to rear.
And per flattop1 it did what I predicted.
Loosened it up.

Offset of the axle to the right is not to the point.
My comment was not about moving the axle L to R
but about skewing the axle front to rear.
And per flattop1 it did what I predicted.
Loosened it up.
you move it back, once you start forward movement the front corrects its path and the axle has changed the offset in the kart, try it for yourself, square something off the rr tire to the front and measure the distance to the front tire, move the RR back, roll the kart back and forth then do it again.
you are thinking what it looks like in a static position, we dont race sitting still?
moving the rear axle back or forward has nothing to do with rear steer

Put a 6 ft level against the rr tire towards the front tire, take a measurement from level to the front wheel... just using numbers say it is 1 inch move the Rr of the axle rearward take measurement take measurement again the measurement will increase causing the rear to toe outward and the left rear to toe inward... put axle back to to original position.... put level on rf wheel measure the distance inwards say it is 1 inch ... turn the steering wheel to the left one position on the steering lock. The measurement increases .... to allow that number to increase you had to turn the wheel (steering the kart) so how does that measurement change in the Front when you steer it versus when you move the axle rearward on the rr same measurement ..you just changed the path of the tire in relationship to the chassis witch is called steering!

Back