Chassis roll speed

riddler26

Can you tell me what creates the roll speed in the kart? is the rails in the kart or the components in the kart...stiffer kart help the kart roll better?can u tell by just pushing the kart?

Can you tell me what creates the roll speed in the kart? is the rails in the kart or the components in the kart...stiffer kart help the kart roll better?can u tell by just pushing the kart?

Jmo it's not the components , those are nearly all the same .
I think it's more a chassis function , tied too design .

As a side note, more roll speed is generally a product of momentum in low horsepower racing.
Momentum is retained by not losing as much speed in the corners while still being able to add to it down the straights.

Since the corners are a larger part of the lap, emphasis is placed on limiting the speed lost first, then creating more speed down the chutes.

If you come off the corner faster, more of your work is already done.

Two great posts ^^^
This statement kinda reminds me of a tether ball .
Though a tether ball has very low friction or things involved too slow it down .
You get it started , slowly , then input more force , until it reaches a speed that your input doesn't accelerate it any more , it just keeps it going at the same speed . Because you can't input any more energy . If it's affected by any opposing force it slows or changes direction , allowing your input too accelerate it .

Has anyone took all the castor out of a kart and tried to run it? Wouldn’t this help the kart roll better?
It would If you were only racing in a straight line, for oval racing it would actually hurt roll speed as it would hinder corner speed more than you could over come in the little straight and oval track has.

Could you just take cross out or would this defeat the purpose?
Actually If you can hook it up higher cross helps because it goes hand in hand with more RF camber, less tire patch less rolling resistance, If I were looking to increase roll speed with adjustments, I would increase left, cross, RF camber, less castor split, less LF camber, and NO toe out to test if you can make it work but still turn, If you hinder corner speed with Those adjustments your defeating the purpose.

I think everyone gets hung up on which tire is actually slipping, and where in the lap.

For 1 inch stagger, the rr must slip the equivalent of slightly more than one revolution in a 100 ft straight.
And it is slipping in the direction we want to go anyway. (Not dragging)

Just food for thought.

Caster, camber, cross, left weight, etc are compromises to allow this to happen.

Edit.

Forgot scrub radius.

Last edited:
Roll speed is putting maximum available hp to the ground using minimum grip no matter how you do it and carrying maximum momentum at again the minimum grip needed to carry the speed, for the greatest distance possible thru the turn.

... maybe ?????

Roll speed is putting maximum available hp to the ground using minimum grip no matter how you do it and carrying maximum momentum at again the minimum grip needed to carry the speed, for the greatest distance possible thru the turn.

... maybe ?????
Roll speed in limited hp racing is maintaining what speed you have by making the best use of lateral grip to reverse direction at each end of the track without losing said speed. If enough speed is kept, there is insufficient hp to overcome available forward grip. All available is put towards overcoming drag, either aerodynamic, or mechanical.

Once horsepower increases above this level, compromises need to be made in this direction.

I agree with Racing Promoter. Roll speed also has to do with what you have done to the tires as well. Just a hint if we are speaking dirt, the fastest karts I have driven pushed a little on the first few laps, it settled and I was gone! A pretty scary ride if you ask me because you are thinking, "Is this thing gonna stick when I enter the turn?!!"

You just have to match the rear stagger to the track but there is way more to it than that.

Msquared

Back