Chassis Setup and Nerf Bar

cfhs52

I have a 2020 footloose that I am trying to scale out. I am looking for a baseline setup. Also we have tried to get around 70 cross 60 to 61 left side and 45-46 nose. This kart is to be run in super heavy and we have moved the seat tried different weight locations and we are almost maxed on washers and can't seem to get cross to go past 65 to 66. Nothing should be bent it's all new and last time we scaled we had 67 before we even moved washers. My question is we found the left rear nerf bar completely froze and can't get it out. I know we need to free the nerf bar, but would the nerf bar effect the cross that much? Thank you.

I'm probably not far enough up the list of smarts to be chiming in , but I've done ok by applying common sense and logic so I'll say.
First off that's not as much as you think, which is why cross is a fine tune adjustment in the first place, I'll continue with think about it this way IF the added tension is pull up on that LR, what effect would that have on the numbers, it would lower the cross so after applying that possibility I would say YES I could see it effecting the cross that much.
Are you scaling now on the same Brand tire you originally scaled with ? If not what is the difference ?

Shouldn't unless it was just really badly bent, and the only way that would happen is in a crash. Biggest question is do you need that much cross? Where are you running it?

As Racing Promoter asked. New tires, old tires, same set as before with more races on them? Same air, stagger, LR Hub spacing?

I'd contact Footloose through Facebook or phone and get a baseline setup for the class, tires and location you're running. I like the look of that chassis. Seem to be doing good.

Last edited:
Thank yall we are running maxxis. We scaled out on a brand new set with 6 and 7 air and a brand new set that hasn't been touched besides getting more stagger. The kart is very fast its just hard to get any support. The numbers we have gotten is from a friend that was very successful on the same chassis. The biggest issue is we were just trying to see if we could get that much cross as he said we should have no problem getting that much and it seems no matter what we change the only thing we can't get to go up is the cross. The kart hasn't been wrecked since we scaled it last time, but we haven't raced it in about 8 months. We were gonna just reset to our numbers we had in it before but just can't seem to get the cross to change, we tried different sets, moved washers, moved weight and everything and the cross is the only thing that won't go up.

A couple of things.
First, you didn't answer the question of scaling both times on the same set of tires. Did you? Same air pressures too? and second, you say the kart is very fast as is, why would you want to change it that much? And third, why not just repair the nerf and free it up?

Thank yall we are running maxxis. We scaled out on a brand new set with 6 and 7 air and a brand new set that hasn't been touched besides getting more stagger. The kart is very fast its just hard to get any support. The numbers we have gotten is from a friend that was very successful on the same chassis. The biggest issue is we were just trying to see if we could get that much cross as he said we should have no problem getting that much and it seems no matter what we change the only thing we can't get to go up is the cross. The kart hasn't been wrecked since we scaled it last time, but we haven't raced it in about 8 months. We were gonna just reset to our numbers we had in it before but just can't seem to get the cross to change, we tried different sets, moved washers, moved weight and everything and the cross is the only thing that won't go up.
Free up the nerf bar and start over, more times than not at that weight lower cross ends up best, Me I wouldn't worry about the number I'd even up washers on both sides , I'd take 2 off bottom on RF move to the top, I'd take 2 off the top on the LF and move to the bottom, I'd write the cross number down only for knowing where it was, and I'd race it. If I needed to tweak for handling or to find speed I go to other adjustments and leave the cross alone. Keep in mind your friend that was bad fast on one, the reason he ended up with that result had MORE to do with his tire program than which chassis he was on .

Thank yall, we scaled multiple times on the same set and same air after trying to tweak other things. We were just trying to get back to our original numbers and couldn't even get there so was trying to figure out why we couldn't. We are trying to get the nerf bar out and gonna replace it with new and see where we are. I know the tire program is most important was just trying to atleast get back to our original baseline that we had before. We will free everything up and set it back on the scales and see where we are. Thanks again.

Thank yall, we scaled multiple times on the same set and same air after trying to tweak other things. We were just trying to get back to our original numbers and couldn't even get there so was trying to figure out why we couldn't. We are trying to get the nerf bar out and gonna replace it with new and see where we are. I know the tire program is most important was just trying to atleast get back to our original baseline that we had before. We will free everything up and set it back on the scales and see where we are. Thanks again.
I put a little bearing grease out of my grease gun on the nerfs before installing them. Reason being it that it will help with removal if bent.

For the weight, you are way low on air. Much like trying to dunk a basketball on a 12" sponge vs. on solid concrete. Aint gonna work! Plus, you have to run much less tire prep. Your grip is gonna come from your weight and much higher VCG. All the bars need to be loose.

Mike McCarty
The Original Chassis Manual

Back