Cheap Clutch

rage47

I'm helping a friend get into karting. He is low budget and just trying to get on the track. Is a Noram Cheetah a good clutch? He was looking at that because it was a cheap one. Would it work for a unrestricted flathead and be any good? Any information helps.. thanks.

I'm helping a friend get into karting. He is low budget and just trying to get on the track. Is a Noram Cheetah a good clutch? He was looking at that because it was a cheap one. Would it work for a unrestricted flathead and be any good? Any information helps.. thanks.

I use to use one. They're not the best but it will get him some laps.

Just get one of the $20 clutches from BMI - they are SS OEM clones. I race them and have pretty good results. They are $20. If that aint enough to steer you, then you might have other priorities. Winning aint one of them! :)

I have this idea that no matter what we tell you, that $20 price tag is going to talk loader. What the heck, it’s only $20, give it a try. Get back to us if you like it or not.
The Chines make some good looking junk at times.
Still, I have two ratchets made in China. A ¼ & 3/8 inch drive. Hard to tell them from SnapOn, and with the limited use I put them to, they have held up really well. At about ¼ the cost of SnapOn, they’re a real bargain. Thing is, they have an American company’s name on them, but also, made in China.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

If he is just starting out and on a budget, i would go with a good rebuilt clutch like mr jammer suggested rather than a brand new one, but like Al said, that $20 price tag for the other clutch mentioned seems like too good of a deal to pass up for a clutch if its a decent one. Just tell him not to get something just because of a cheap price tag, usually with a cheap price tag comes alot of problems that are time consuming and not worth that low price. id rather pay a little more and get something proven by many than pay alot less and get something suggested by one or 2 racers....Quality is more important than price to me though, i dont like buying something more than once if i can help it the first time.

Personally, I think there are better clutches at that same price level as a Noram Cheetah. Even then, I'd choose a good used rebuilt Bully clutch over many of the "discount" knock-offs that are out there. Nothing wrong Jammer clutches as well. If he just wants to get his feet wet, just about any clutch will do. If he wants to continue in karting, I'd suggest buying a quality clutch to begin with and being able to rebuild it as needed.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407

Hey guys its Christmas someone on here must have some drum clutches sitting in their garage collecting dust , shipping will probably cost around $6.00 bucks to ship or sent it to him pay as forward. I haven't used drum clutches in over 16 years ago.. Just saying. If he has a FH b&s he will need a 14 tooth clutch to get him some track time. If I had any drums I would sent it to him for free.

Back