Cheap MyChron 4

A guy had a MyChron 4 for $200, but it only had the RPM lead. I Asked where the Temp Lead was and he said he didn’t have them, but most people only use the RPM Lead anyway. Since I wasn’t sure, I held off.

So do most just run the RPM lead and that’s it?

The tach is for green plate clone.

Btw, still looking for a MyChron 3 or 4. I’m trying not to buy a 5 for an 8 year old who really don’t need it.

I know the 5 is costly but I’d get it anyway. It will give you lap times and that is one of the most important tools you can have.

The 4 gives you lap times as well. We actually have two 4's and one 5. Up side of the 4 is it has disposable batteries, where you have to charge the 5's battery...don't forget.
Up side of the 5 is that it knows where it is, and does a few more things.
One of our 4's is on an X30 Tag kart, which monitors lap times, RPM, water and exhaust gas temp. The other 4 and 5 are on 206's, which we just monitor lap times and RPM.
The 3's as I recall have more "stuff" to mount. Not that the extra box is that big of a pain, but both the 4s and 5s just mount to the steering wheel and you're done.
You can always buy the temp lead, either for EGT or head temp if you need it for the 4 you're looking at.
$200 seems like a good price to me. And really for a little kid, you don't really need to worry about temp. On our 206's which have spec jets, we can't control temperature anyway, so why worry about it?
Have fun,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

A guy had a MyChron 4 for $200, but it only had the RPM lead. I Asked where the Temp Lead was and he said he didn’t have them, but most people only use the RPM Lead anyway. Since I wasn’t sure, I held off.

The tach is for green plate clone.

Btw, still looking for a MyChron 3 or 4. I’m trying not to buy a 5 for an 8 year old who really don’t need it.
Personally, I run mine with just the RPM. I may get the beacon receiver for lap times later this year. I never looked at my temps anyway, but I run predator so it may not be as important. $200 without the leads is probably fair, and you can always get the lead if you want it.

No, most people are reviewing lap times as well. The Mychron 4 will be a good choice as it has the ability to record lap times, CHT, and RPM's. The CHT (cylinder head temp) requires the specific cable to work with the unit. To record lap times you need to have a lap receiver on your kart (plugs into the back of the tach) and a beacon needs to be placed somewhere on the track. Typically any sanctioned event you'd go to will have a beacon at the track. The RPM lead is simply a piece of wire that loops through the back of the tack and most people wrap it around the plug wire.

If I were in your shoes, I would look to buy a Mychron 4 with the lap receiver. The CHT is a nice to have but not a requirement. The RPM wire is easy and cheap to come by if the tach does not come with it.

I see used Mychron 4's for sale all the time in the $180 - $225 range depending on what leads it comes with. I don't think the price has varied much over the past 5 years with the exception of the past 12 months when the 5's were not as readily available so the demand for the 4 was up and so was the price. I see the prices are coming back down as the supply of 5's are flowing back in. If you have a little time on your side, I'd keep your eyes open for a Mychron 4 with the lap receiver and not pay more than $225 shipped.

You definitely want to track lap times. On a 4 you need an optical receiver and a beacon. Your looking at around 55$ + tax and or shipping for an optical receiver. Someone at your track is most likely putting out a beacon and one is enough.

If the guy is running an LO206, he likely wouldn't have been using the temp lead. I can't imagine not running the lap timer though -- that's the most important part in my opinion.
The tach lead is simply 18g wire and very inexpensive. The other two leads can be fairly pricey.
$200 seems high to me...BUT with scarcity of My5s currently, I've seen My4's complete selling regularly for $250.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

For an 8 year old the tach is more for your eyes than theirs... so you can monitor rpm lap times and if wanted cht. If you are observant you can tell if and when they are lifting on lap times. You can also observe whether you are geared wrong by the rpms. 200 for a 4 is pricey for it to not have all the leads.

Don't leave 3's out of the picture. They do everything the 4 does when it comes to what you're looking for. In fact, to be technical, the 3 is more accurate in RPM's as it measures to 50 rpms whereas the 4 only measures to 100 rpms.
So on the 4.....4500 rpms is what you'll see....but on a 3 it might read 4550 rpms. Just a tid bit of info for ya.

Don't leave 3's out of the picture. They do everything the 4 does when it comes to what you're looking for. In fact, to be technical, the 3 is more accurate in RPM's as it measures to 50 rpms whereas the 4 only measures to 100 rpms.
So on the 4.....4500 rpms is what you'll see....but on a 3 it might read 4550 rpms. Just a tid bit of info for ya.
What are you talking about only measures to 100rpms ?
like 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300 etc ?

received_466718457309206.jpeg

Mine must be broken then🤷‍♂️

I watched a detailed video on the 5 last night. I don't care for the idea you can't change batteries, but the stuff it can do it amazing.

Like lap times without the beacon, and all kinds of t

I watched a detailed video on the 5 last night. I don't care for the idea you can't change batteries, but the stuff it can do it amazing.

Like lap times without the beacon, and all kinds of telemetry in the PC. IDK, I think the telemetry as a Dad might be invaluable.

Mychron 4"s prices started going up when nobody could get a 5. @200 isnt a baf price and if you want to add the CHT lead its 45 bucks youve still got a couple hundred bucks less invested than buying a 5.

Back