Cheating up the tach

I spoke with both tach manufactures. They both informed me that they would look into it but at this time they felt it wasn’t possible. They also told me I had their suspicions aroused and we’re going to investigate. If they found anything they would get back to me. Haven’t heard anything from either. Now on another side of the coin. Since I brought this issue up there has not been one single proof or evidence provided by the karting world that it isn’t anything but rumor. You know as well as I do there are people that would “ let it slip so to speak “ if it was happening
I think this statement looks familiar.
As in, no beating the shortcutted fuel tests, until someone shows it is possible.

Why not just do the test consistently for all competitors?

Still no replacement for just doing the job right the first time.

Locks/ rules only keep the honest people honest.

Last edited:
Does the last race the one you just pulled off automatically go away when the tach is turned off?

If you already know your engine will turn over the 5500 rpm rule and you can keep the last outing with rpm's under 5500 on it, you'd simply not use the tack for the race and keep the needed last time out readings on it.

Seems pretty easy if all you have to do is keep the tach live from the last race or during hot laps,
You don't use it during the feature because you already know you'll be over the 5500 limit.

Might your tech make sure everyone's tach is reset before the feature?

I think this statement looks familiar.
As in, no beating the shortcutted fuel tests, until someone shows it is possible.

Why not just do the test consistently for all competitors?

Still no replacement for just doing the job right the first time.

Locks/ rules only keep the honest people honest.
What would you suggest towards doing it right the first time?

Enforce the rule as written, using a consistent tool and method for all competitors.
If it doesn't pass, make it known.
No free passes. Max is max.

I cannot see how making a check of an arbitrary number using a random tool furnished by the competitor for a rule not available in the written set could be considered consistent tech.
Especially since having the tool available is not a requirement for competing in the class.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
As in the leader checked over the 5500 rpm rule ?
What if they do not fail ?
We run a Jr predator class at Ashway with a 4500 RPM rule, leader had over 1/2 track in 5 laps so i red flagged the race and checked on the track and it was at 5200... black flagged him from the race, the sad part is... that the kid did NOT do that.. they did have some type of device to manipulate the RPM check on the stand

We run a Jr predator class at Ashway with a 4500 RPM rule, leader had over 1/2 track in 5 laps so i red flagged the race and checked on the track and it was at 5200... black flagged him from the race, the sad part is... that the kid did NOT do that.. they did have some type of device to manipulate the RPM check on the stand
I know that ashway has an rpm rule and sticks to it. A couple of years ago my niece was dq'ed for 100 rpm over the limit.
The big thing is that they do it the same way every time for everyone.
Once more if someone is going out of the way to cheat a tach to gain a minimal amount of rpm's , they need to work on something else. This is ridiculous.

A 75 hz frequency generator applied to the tach input should give a 4500 rpm reading, since the coil fires on each revolution.
Seems possible to turn off the tach to clear the max memory, turn the tach back on and apply the frequency generator to the input while driving slowly to the scales, which should leave the max rpm at 4500 regardless of how many rpm the motor was turning during the race.
That's just the first thought that pops in my head. It depends on if they check max at the scales or on the stand.

A 75 hz frequency generator applied to the tach input should give a 4500 rpm reading, since the coil fires on each revolution.
Seems possible to turn off the tach to clear the max memory, turn the tach back on and apply the frequency generator to the input while driving slowly to the scales, which should leave the max rpm at 4500 regardless of how many rpm the motor was turning during the race.
That's just the first thought that pops in my head. It depends on if they check max at the scales or on the stand.
Bob, I d to the check on the stand after they cross the scales in the impound area, I also use my own tach and require them to completely disconnect their tach lead, and check RPM off the pedal, I’m pretty sure they had some type of throttle stop they were applying somehow.. I have a pretty keen ear and can just about tell by sound... I haven’t had much of that going on since I’ve checked on the track a few times..

Back