Cheating with fuel....

4 oz of nitro in a gallon of gasoline will fail Digatrons DT64 fuel tester on Dc1 and Dc2 when +/- 25 counts are allowed on DC1 and +/- 3 counts are allowed on DC2...as a side note on tests I seen run there were no hp gain seen without changing timing and jet size.

4 oz of nitro in a gallon of gasoline will fail Digatrons DT64 fuel tester on Dc1 and Dc2 when +/- 25 counts are allowed on DC1 and +/- 3 counts are allowed on DC2...as a side note on tests I seen run there were no hp gain seen without changing timing and jet size.

I'm by far no motor builder, but that's my understanding as well just adding it does not work, not aware of nitro with gas we see nitro with Alcohol, gas i'm hearing is more oxygenated additives.
I have herd the newest models of fuel testers are much better than before.

one that i've heard of is adding pro-blend to the fuel, this is an oxygenation blend....but you can tell when someone puts it in, because the tank and carb will sweat...it makes the temp of the fuel drop. bad thing is, you have to watch those that are using oxygen enriching additives. they will usually last so long as the tank is capped, but when you take the fuel cap off and "swish" the fuel, then the enhancers are released into the air....making it even harder to detect.

i still say that as a race promoter, call the drivers together and lay the law down. explain that your randomly going to check fuels and if caught, they are history. don't have to say much more....i've done it. yes, your going to get yelled, cussed and generally not liked for a while, but you are the same one that is going to get yelled, screamed, hollered and cussed at if you don't and someone sees a crew using additives. sometimes the mere threat is enough....and don't give in and tell them what method your going to use...leave it at "I'm going to start randomly checking fuel and if you are using anything you will be ----- (put your favorite punishment here)." and i'd do it too!! tell them how your going to check is tantamount to giving away christmas present secrets! i've witnessed other tech men telling the racers exactly what they are going to check....and all of a sudden karts that were running away from the field aren't.....as a race promoter, you don't have to tell a racer anything, just tell them your going to do it and leave it at that....too many racers (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular) think that they are above the rules and that the techman or promoter has to answer to them. if they don't like it, so what? i can jsut about garantee that those racers who have been labeled as back markers or worse will thank you for putting your foot down and helping to keep things open and honest!

one that i've heard of is adding pro-blend to the fuel, this is an oxygenation blend....but you can tell when someone puts it in, because the tank and carb will sweat...it makes the temp of the fuel drop. bad thing is, you have to watch those that are using oxygen enriching additives. they will usually last so long as the tank is capped, but when you take the fuel cap off and "swish" the fuel, then the enhancers are released into the air....making it even harder to detect.

i still say that as a race promoter, call the drivers together and lay the law down. explain that your randomly going to check fuels and if caught, they are history. don't have to say much more....i've done it. yes, your going to get yelled, cussed and generally not liked for a while, but you are the same one that is going to get yelled, screamed, hollered and cussed at if you don't and someone sees a crew using additives. sometimes the mere threat is enough....and don't give in and tell them what method your going to use...leave it at "I'm going to start randomly checking fuel and if you are using anything you will be ----- (put your favorite punishment here)." and i'd do it too!! tell them how your going to check is tantamount to giving away christmas present secrets! i've witnessed other tech men telling the racers exactly what they are going to check....and all of a sudden karts that were running away from the field aren't.....as a race promoter, you don't have to tell a racer anything, just tell them your going to do it and leave it at that....too many racers (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular) think that they are above the rules and that the techman or promoter has to answer to them. if they don't like it, so what? i can jsut about garantee that those racers who have been labeled as back markers or worse will thank you for putting your foot down and helping to keep things open and honest!

Your first paragraph makes sense seems like it would work that way.

As far as your second paragraph I agree with ya and think any other Track promoter would as well, I've been there done that, tested every way were aware of except the Digitron tester, in past was informed by others using them there no 100% fail proof, guy's would get tossed based on the tester numbers then the fuel would go to a lab and confirm fuel was fine was not interested in spending 5 6 hundred for something that only caused more problems, It's my understanding however the newest models are better, however bottom line your test have to be fail proof to toss em, trust me I have no problem getting rid of cheaters.

The way I as a track promoter see it is, I want the playing field equal for all. One way to do this is to use the Digatron fuel tester as an instrument to help do so on fuel...The instrument was designed to make all standard gasoline readings to be a minus number and all methanol readings to be a positive number. Since we know many of the gasoline's available have up to 10 % ethanol in them ,ethanol by itself will also read a positive number. Because of these know facts I recommend that tracks require a spec fuel to be ran(such as specifying 87 octane with ethanol from a certain station) and stating how many points the track is giving on DC1 readings, then the track can offer pre race tests to tell the racer if he is within those guideline's(do not tell them the exact reading),this is only a courtesy check, after qualifying or actual races does the readings determine DQ's or not. Since we know that some will add additives for power gain and then use a non ethanol based fuel to get back to readings within the DC1 range we recommend that for final tests a DC2 reading is made. If the instrument is calibrated properly using cyclohexane then I feel very confident that using the Digatron fuel tester will even the playing field. The new DT64 fuel tester probe is a lot more sensitive than previous models, it also allows to calibrate the duel tester on both DC1 and Dc2 against a known substance and displays 4 separate windows of information ..upper left DC1 upper right DC2
lower left temp and lower right a self check of instrument and probe. In over 10 years of representing Digatron as a Midwest Tech rep I have never been informed that DQ on duel has been determined wrong by a fuel be sent to a lab and they(the lab) stated the fuel DQ'd was legal fuel as per the tracks limits they set.
If a track sets what readings they will allow and they have a spec fuel to test against then as long as the instrument is being used proper it should be easy to determine if fuel being run is legal,but I do recommend both DC1 and DC2 readings be used to catch those who like to play being a chemist.
I have discussed the use of Digatrons fuel testers with many tech personnel and most who use it to its full capabilities feel very confident in its use ,especially on gasoline fuels and most have told me they can pretty well tell you what group gas stations in their area a sample fuel/ or racers fuel was purchased from.

For those who want to be more informed about the DT64 fuel tester can call me at 812-610-0023(anytime till 11:30PM) or Ken/Dan at Digatron 509-467-3128(Monday thru Thursday 9am to 4pm).

we were cheated at the starts very bad fumes they started the engine up at the latetest pos moment before race way after most have been running. somtimes holding up the show to stsrt up late .( thankfuly the fumes killimg my boy) the must put it in the animal float bowl or fill the fuel line with the cheat.

IMHO, the only surefire way to test any fuel is with a hydrometer, because the basic result of any fuel enhancement is an increase of the Specific Gravity, the higher the S.G., the more potent the fuel.

IMHO, the only surefire way to test any fuel is with a hydrometer, because the basic result of any fuel enhancement is an increase of the Specific Gravity, the higher the S.G., the more potent the fuel.

Same problem as tester NOT surefire the power mist stuff we've added it hydrometer tested it passes, plus passes water test.

talking with a lot of guys around here, it's not happening as much because a lot of tracks have gone to the pump around for any big races and pull the fuel tester out if they suspect anything...pump around is probably the best thing....that way if you monkey with your fuel, then go thru the pump around, then every one shares your fuel!
Very, very few karters are in a position to understand how to use "hot fuel."
If it happens, it is by the guys who are already VERY know setup, tires, etc. The use of fuel, to the degree that it improves lap time, is not like taking an aspirin to cure headache.
I say this as a person who ran fuel, in a famous blown fuel funny car, for many years. I have also fiddled with it.....various fuels actually, in karting application.

Far better to work with the tires, preps, driving habits, etc.....than to fool around with something completely unknown, and very foreign to our form of racing.

Same problem as tester NOT surefire the power mist stuff we've added it hydrometer tested it passes, plus passes water test.
Interesting......also post please, the back to back tests you ran, with and without the stuff, and the amount of lap time improvement....when using the "power mist."

Simple water test will not show Nitro as long as they do not go over 4oz per gal, I see below you say 2 different water test I would like to discuss that, what I'm calling simple water test with distilled water it will not show up, now drop a few drops of Bleach in and ya if it's nitro it will turn Orange instantly, that's why I say sure thing on nitro, the Powermist additive that has the extremely strong smell does not show up either, nor any other test we've tried.

As you state Simple water test will catch ALMOST everything, again there's the problem.
If it doesn't pass the smell test, throw the DQ.
The nose/smell test is as valid as any other. As always, have a couple of other approved tech guys, agree with the smell test.

I bet I know where ya got that from.... haha
If I am not mistaken from what I gather from the person or persons you heard this from this mixture will burn in space.... Crazy stuff

Yeah, and that "person" is on my list of people who are "the smartest person in the world".

:)

If it doesn't pass the smell test, throw the DQ.
The nose/smell test is as valid as any other. As always, have a couple of other approved tech guys, agree with the smell test.

At our Fri night shows we will, were not seeing issues there guy's know were onto it, we test everything we hear about just to try to stay on top of it, I think the fuel and oil is a bigger problem at the series races going on.

Klotz

Description:
Klotz NITRO is an oxygenating power additive developed for gasoline, E85 and methanol alcohol fuels. NITRO is designed to extract maximum horsepower from stock and modified engines. Contains 50% Nitropropane and 50% Koolinal as blending and cooling agents. Koolinal also resists detonation and pre-ignition. Dyno tests indicate substantial power increases may be obtained when using Klotz NITRO. Klotz NITRO will challenge and outrun the competition in the following ways:

•Nitro provides up to 7% increase in horsepower
•Improves throttle response and acceleration
•Increases torque and horsepower
•Blends with gasoline, E85 and methanol alcohol fuels
•Designed for stock and modified engines
•Oxygen bearing agent

Application:
For use in all 2/4-stroke gasoline, E85, and methanol alcohol engines. May not be a legal power additive in sanctioned racing events.
Characteristics:
Product Color: Bluish/Green

Instructions:
Compatibility: All gasoline, E85, methanol alcohol, synthetic lubricants and petroleum oils. Take several spark plug readings to verify jet settings and correct heat range spark plug. A colder heat range spark plug is recommended.
4-Stroke Engines: Use 4 oz. NITRO per gallon; increase jets by 4 sizes. For high compression engines retard timing 2 degrees.
2-Stroke Engines: Use 2 oz. NITRO per gallon up to a maximum of 4 oz. per gallon. Increase jets by 4 to 6 sizes.: Heat is a limiting factor excess heat will cause engine damage. Reduce the percentage of NITRO to lower engine temperature and prevent engine damage. Every application is different additional tuning may be required to achieve maximum power.

Description:
Klotz NITRO is an oxygenating power additive developed for gasoline, E85 and methanol alcohol fuels. NITRO is designed to extract maximum horsepower from stock and modified engines. Contains 50% Nitropropane and 50% Koolinal as blending and cooling agents. Koolinal also resists detonation and pre-ignition. Dyno tests indicate substantial power increases may be obtained when using Klotz NITRO. Klotz NITRO will challenge and outrun the competition in the following ways:

•Nitro provides up to 7% increase in horsepower
•Improves throttle response and acceleration
•Increases torque and horsepower
•Blends with gasoline, E85 and methanol alcohol fuels
•Designed for stock and modified engines
•Oxygen bearing agent

Application:
For use in all 2/4-stroke gasoline, E85, and methanol alcohol engines. May not be a legal power additive in sanctioned racing events.
Characteristics:
Product Color: Bluish/Green

Instructions:
Compatibility: All gasoline, E85, methanol alcohol, synthetic lubricants and petroleum oils. Take several spark plug readings to verify jet settings and correct heat range spark plug. A colder heat range spark plug is recommended.
4-Stroke Engines: Use 4 oz. NITRO per gallon; increase jets by 4 sizes. For high compression engines retard timing 2 degrees.
2-Stroke Engines: Use 2 oz. NITRO per gallon up to a maximum of 4 oz. per gallon. Increase jets by 4 to 6 sizes.: Heat is a limiting factor excess heat will cause engine damage. Reduce the percentage of NITRO to lower engine temperature and prevent engine damage. Every application is different additional tuning may be required to achieve maximum power.

Any Nitro added is easy to find few drops of bleach end of story, it's the other stuff that's slipping through.

Description:
COXOC gasoline power additive is one of the safest and most effective means of increasing horsepower in two or four-stroke engines. COXOC provides additional 37% oxygen to the fuel mixture. The added oxygen improves combustion efficiency and allows more gasoline to be burned. Extensive testing in the field and on dynos shows consistent increase of 6 –7% across the engines power band. Klotz COXOC will challenge and outrun the competition in the following ways:

Application:
For use in all 2/4-Stroke gasoline engines. May not be a legal power additive in sanctioned racing events.
Characteristics:
Product Color: Pale Blue/Green

Instructions:
Compatibility: All gasoline, synthetic lubricants, and petroleum oils. Is not effective in methanol or nitrous applications.: Mix 1 gal. COXOC® with 4 gal. gas (4:1 ratio; 20% mixture). In carbureted engines, increase 2 jet sizes. Experiment to find the best setting for your engine. Fuel injected engines may automatically remap themselves and require minimal adjustment. Call Klotz Tech Support for information on remapping your fuel injected engine.: When mixed as directed, COXOC® will only minimally affect the specific gravity of gasoline, and will usually remain within tolerances in conductivity and specific gravity tests. Contact your race association to determine their testing procedures and acceptable tolerance. If there is concern about passing fuel specifications, have your fuel tested

I like the statement usually will remain within tolerances in conductivity... since they sell the DT64 fuel tester ,just how many points will it change Dc1 and Dc2 tests...I'm sure if you allow 100 points on DC1 and don't check dc 2 it may pass.

Carb

Watched a race this past year and one individual in particular was slow going at the beginning of the race and lagged way behind. All of a sudden, his kart came to life and reeled in some very fast karts. He didn't finish because he wrecked himself and another competitor. I assume he was using something in his fuel. Seemed like it took awhile but then took off. What could he have used??
I would bet his carb was rich and loaded up on the start and then cleaned out and started making power. What wins races is #1 tires,#2 gear selection and clutch rpm, #3 kart setup. I have cheated big time and got beat by a great set of tires!!!!!!

The DT 64 will react to all those and then some.I know it as fact I got the tester and I have checked it on known additives all I got my hands on so far has shown in DC2 usind 87 ethanol gas JUST SAYING

Back