Check out this disc!

R.jacker

Would you run this ?
IMG_1860.jpeg

Definitely not "optimal" surface area with a small chip out of it like that. I suspect that you wouldn't know the difference in performance, however. Generally, there is more than enough surface area on disc clutches for the application. Realistically, you could get away with a single disc clutch in most adult classes. Rarely do guys use a single disc (other than maybe qualifying) though because they can't take the heat and abuse of several starts and restarts during a race.
The size of the chip is certainly less surface area than the amount of surface area lost on grooved discs, and they work fine. I say run it.
Being "new" is it worth returning to the seller that you purchased it from? Being purchased locally or online would make a difference I suppose.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Definitely not "optimal" surface area with a small chip out of it like that. I suspect that you wouldn't know the difference in performance, however. Generally, there is more than enough surface area on disc clutches for the application. Realistically, you could get away with a single disc clutch in most adult classes. Rarely do guys use a single disc (other than maybe qualifying) though because they can't take the heat and abuse of several starts and restarts during a race.
The size of the chip is certainly less surface area than the amount of surface area lost on grooved discs, and they work fine. I say run it.
Being "new" is it worth returning to the seller that you purchased it from? Being purchased locally or online would make a difference I suppose.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thank you for the reply! My thoughts were WTF is this trash but you spelled it out and makes total sense!

Back