Cheeta clutch question

jacobsdad

We got my son a kart, an ultramax. I don't know the year or model, can't find any numbers on it but I am assuming it is probably 10 years old or around there. It has a briggs with a cheeta clutch. My question is setting up the clutch. When we started the engine for the first time with it on the stand and the rear wheels free, the rear wheels spun with the engine. I figured it was just because there was no resistance on the wheels. While the engine was running I pushed in the brake to try to stop the rear wheels. The wheels kept turning, the engine bogged and died. So, I figured the clutch just needed adjusting. I took it off to check it out. The screws on the springs are loose. By loose I mean I could turn them all about 5 turns or more before there was any resistance with the springs. They wobbled when I jiggled them.
Is this a normal setup, or should there be resistance on the screws? I don't have a spring guage but do have a micrometer I can measure the height of each spring to get them even.
Is there a bench procedure for setting up the clutch before installation? Do I pull the screws all the way out and re-start them turning them in equal turns until they seat tight against the springs?
Any information on this clutch would be very helpful! We blew all our money buying the kart so we will not be able to buy any new stuff for it until after Christmas so we are stuck with this clutch for now.
I have read that turning the screws clockwise will increase the RPM's it engages at, that would be tightening them. I guess I am wondering where the typical starting point for these screws would be to get them on the kart.
Thanks!

mine was the same way...i screwed them all the way down and then backed them off about 1.25 turns...screwed down, the engagement is higher...typically you would want the clutch to kick in at about 3500 to 4000 rpm....any lower and the starts will kill you...

OK, so you started all the way in then loosened from there? That makes sense.
By the way, it is on a Briggs Jr. 1 class. I have a little carb work to do then will try it and see.
Thanks!

Back